2019 iMac?

AND, the new minis are great. A most welcome update. Sure, painful to add RAM, but can be done.

Why upgrade to Mojave? Whats wrong with Sierra? Just grab a 2013 MBP and a swanky monitor, fill it with RAM and an SSD.

LOL, as usual I can’t quite decipher you’re posts ;-)

Apple SSD faster than aftermarket? That’s interesting, never thought of that before. But, the iMac I’m considering has an Apple upgraded 512 ssd, which is ample storage for me.

See my other post. I’m hearing that RW is faster under M than hS, no idea (yet) if that’s true though. I\m upgrading my 2017 MBA to Mojave today, so will know later. Plus, upgrading to Mojave has to happen sooner or later, as eventually software won’t support HS machine.

Plus I want something new and shiny :-)

2013 2nd hand is just too old IMO. It’s likely the next OS will not support it, so I’m back into the fire. 2015 is the obvious route, but they are still fetching well over £1k, and I’m not comfortable dropping £1k on used.

Don’t invest in hardware which isn’t able to run the latest software versions.

1 Like

I didn’t realise it was difficult to decipher my posts. Follow it up if you feel inclined. Apple are absolutely smashing it when it comes to the speed of their internal SSDs. They’re not interchangeable 2.5" “drives” btw. There’s no “aftermarket”, and you don’t need it.

Or, don’t invest in software which isn’t able to run on the latest hardware :-)

2 Likes

Explain, if you will.

Can a the ssd in a new iMac be swapped to a bigger aftermarket one at some point down the line?

And what do you mean by “you son’t need it”?

I’ve not heard that mumbo jumbo. Interesting to see if that’s true but I am very sceptical. The whole Apple ecoculture promotes upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. I can’t see any justifiable or substantiated reason to go above Sierra or RW7.

All my machines (four “daily-drivers”) are on HS and RW8. Once the issues with 8 were sorted I jumped in at 8.0.3 and liked it. It had just enough “upgrades” over 7 to warrant the move for me. I’m now on 8.1.6 and it’s mostly fine. Simulator, when it works, is nice, but it still has a tendency to cause problems, so I’m mostly back to my regular preview mode of Chrome.

To be honest, the whole “new iMac” thing is driven a desire to try RW on Mojave, but as it seems from the other thread that I’ll see no real improvement, I can sense the money that was ear-marked for new machine going on a long weekend on Spain. Hic.

@steveb there is no need to be rude or contravene the forums rules. Last week was traumatic as I’ve spent many hours in hospital with a close relative who has just been give a stage 4 cancer diagnosis. Not good prognosis! To top that it was my financial year end too so busy squeezing in all of that too! I am so sorry I am not sat in front of a keyboard answering your comments! However for your information for an iMac 5k you can get rental deals with a percentage off so you have a balloon payment you can choose to pay at end or swap out. Even Apple shops do a 80:20 deal. However I can point you towards a deal which costs about £12 per week. Plus 50% off any extras bought at time
As I’m VAT registered, pay corporation tax etc. My deal which is less than this as I’m on to fourth deal is 66/33 split therefore paying 66% over two years plus offsets on tax and VAT.
I bought a one year old 21” iMac good spec for my wife last year as she’s other half of business for £837 - this was a return at finance company I use on a lease/rental deal.
I am happy to help so please send me your exact spec and I’ll see what I can do for you. Also let me know your company status eg. Sole or Ltd and whether you pay VAT too. If you want to pm rather than put in public forum it’s ok with me!
I want to say at this point that I am not a computer seller nor wish to be, just a helpful nurse who cares!

Basic maths: Pay £1750 for the machine, expected lifespan: three years = £11.21 per week. Write the machine off at the three-year point, buy from business for £25. Whatever the machine is now worth is pure bonus and in your pocket tax free. Plus you’ve spent less than that £12 a week. As my numbers include VAT, if you’re registered the numbers are even better as your purchase price is £1458 and I bet that £12 a week is plus VAT?

Thanks for the offer of help though, but you sound busy, so I’ll sort myself out.

Your apology was gratefully accepted!
Maths
Apple deal from Apple Business - iMac costs £2000 you get an 80:20 deal you pay 80% only over 2 years (3/4 or whatever) therefore you pay annually 40% which is £800 p.a incl VAT.
My deal is 66/33 deal over two years so using same figures it’s 33% per annum for 2 years = £660 plus incl VAT. Then I have my benefits of company on top. Also both have < 24 hr business repair cover built in.
The last part is a balloon payment taken up as either buy or hand back and get new!
I would not pay 100% for anything I rent/lease.
It each one to their own, you don’t want my help - that’s fine but you can always ring up a few finance companies who lease macs and ask them if they have any returns coming in, you might be surprised how much you can pay for a 1 year/2 year model! They are out there if you want to go along this route.

Well, we are not going to agree about the numbers and leasing being cost effective, but I will say contacting the leasing firms for returns is a bloody good idea and one that hadn’t occurred to me. So thank you for that.

I only apologise when I’m wrong.

@SteveB, @PaulM Hey, guys, this is not a religious forum. We do not need dogmatic views. You can agree or disagree with one another, but if you disagree, just stop responding. Otherwise, you turn this friendly forum into a place to avoid.

1 Like

And there was me doing my best to be conciliatory!

But point taken, apologies.

2 Likes

As an update, and final comment on this thread.

My hunt for a new iMac is now over.

I spent the money on another holiday instead.

Good call me thinks.

Fuck you Apple.

:-)

4 Likes

I just bought 2 2015 Macbooks from a very good reseller in Singapore. One had only 12 cycles of battery. This will extend the life of my office Mac ecosystem for a max of 4 years. To my estimation. Then I’m done with Macs unless I can get my head around the hackintosh

Heh. Maybe next time post about holiday destinations instead ;-)