Adding SPF/DKIM for Site using Cloudflare

Please can someone help. I built a RW site for someone which is hosted on IONOS but via Cloudflare for speed and free SSL Cert.

They have a an email service provided by IONOS and an email address: e.g. info@examplesite.com

Their email address has been blocked from gmail accounts and isn’t received by anyone with a Gmail account.
Gmail want SPF or DKIM authorisation on the domain.

So - this is where I’m confused. I think I have to add an SPF record in the DNS records using cloudflare.
Do I need to generate an SPF code for the IP address for IONOS? Or do I need to generate and SPF code for Cloudflare. I.e is IONOS still the server?

Sorry if this is a daft question. I’ve not done this before. It seems like a big hassle gmail wanting people to do this now to communicate with their users.

Has anyone done this before? Any help much appreciated

Try this

To do this, you will need to generate an SPF code for the domain name, not for either IONOS or Cloudflare. The SPF code should include the IP addresses of both IONOS and Cloudflare to ensure that all emails sent from the domain are authenticated.

Here are the steps you can take to add an SPF record:

1 Log in to your Cloudflare account.
2 Go to the DNS section and find the DNS record for the domain name.
3 Add a new TXT record and enter the SPF code in the value field.
4 Save the record.

It may take some time for the changes to propagate, but once they do, Gmail should be able to receive emails from the client’s email address without any issues.

1 Like

Thanks @Kent . This makes a lot of sense. I’ll have another go at it and follow your instructions. I hadn’t realised I need to include both IONOS and cloudflare.

Thanks and all the best
James