Any Blocs 3 users in the house?

Hey everyone,

For those who don’t know me, I’m Norm the creator of Blocs.

I come in peace :)

I was made aware of this forum/thread over the weekend and read some of the comments good and bad about Blocs and just wanted to chime in so I could clarify a few things as I would hate for them to be misinterpreted.

My point at the time was based on my ethos of Blocs, which is to try and simplify the user interface and experience in order to bring users the essentials without too much clutter or confusion. The reason the XL breakpoint was left out is because, for the majority, it’s simply not as crucial as the other breakpoints. That decision is based on modern standards and the mobile first mentality.

(Anything above 1200px wide, just looks the same as 1200px. If you then use edge to edge Blocs you can actually have the content right at the edges of a huge display.)

As the creator of Blocs, I make calls like this and of course it’s the user’s job to let me know when I’m wrong. What I do in these circumstances is keep a tally, once something gets enough requests (not hundreds) I add it. This XL breakpoint has been mentioned a couple of times. That data tells me, it’s not critical and in the mind of the user not that essential (right now).

But to be clear, I’m sorry you felt my attitude was that I simply disregard ideas and suggestion just because I don’t use them personally, it’s absolutely not the case. I’m very hands on with the user community of Blocs and I think most would agree I listen and consider all feedback.

This is currently in alpha (work in progress), and has been for a while now. I’m hoping to get it into beta in the coming months. We don’t really advertise the fact that there is an API due to the alpha state. When we hit beta you will see a bigger drive from us, to promote it and I’m sure in turn a rise in interest from 3rd parties.

I think it’s fair to say the only reason not many have jumped in yet, is because we are still filling the swimming pool :)

Thanks for the continued interest. It would be great to hear a little more detail on the areas you think Blocs needs to improve to become a tool you would consider :)

8 Likes