Any Blocs 3 users in the house?

Oh nice one. My skills with RW took a big step forward when I started getting your projects, so hope these can kick start my Blocs use.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Here is another interesting Blocs made demo:

https://eldargezalov.com/i/templates/preview/nikola/tesla

2 Likes

Alternative web design apps are fine but Tesla - that should definitely NOT be allowed on RW4ALL.

2 Likes

I think there are just about permissible if they are specced with full leather seats from soon to be extinct animals and endangered wood dashboards. They remind me of those cars you see in car accident insurance adverts where all traces of identifying what car they are have been removed for total impartiality.

Not ready to download the app, but having checked out the template and demo sites, am curious about:

FONTS: Blocs 3 says it offers Google fonts and local fonts. Not sure what the latter are. Wondering if there is comparable flexibility font-wise that compares with the range of the Fonts Pro stack.

GALLERIES: Not seeing any gallery or lightbox examples. All the template websites, although reasonably tasty, seem somewhat pedestrian to me. And kind of limited. The authentic/inauthentic “parallax” is rather nice, but these sites do not appear to be able to exhibit a larger body of images.

Am I missing something?

Local fonts are added in preferences and then made available within Blocs. When the site is exported it automatically includes the fonts that are uploaded to the server, along with the rest. For the sake of clarity, these are web fonts like Woff and Woff2. You can add any number of font variations in Blocs and the set up process is really easy.

You can do quite a lot with galleries. There are the built in masonry galleries that are very configurable, then you have the carousel, but in practice you should be able to add third party options like Juicebox. No doubt much more coming.

There is a new store opening tomorrow https://blocs.store/ and some amazing stuff just around the corner that was supposed to be a secret, until somebody mentioned it on the forum a couple days ago…

3 Likes

As Ashley said, just add whatever web fonts you want locally via the Blocs Font window. You don’t need to buy anything else or learn anything else, as this is built into the core Blocs App.

They are not limited at all. The Image Manager can load remote images and the selection of different images is instantaneous and WYSIWYG in Edit mode. I can’t see anything that would define image handling as “limited” in Blocs. Built in Gallery, image and lightbox as well as currently available 3rd party lightboxs and sliders are well catered for in Blocs. Way beyond what RW+Stacks+some frameworks offer, for example.

Here is a live, cool graphic rich Blocs site I discovered yesterday - https://vmedia.de/schroeder/index.html

It would take a lot of RW and extras to build a site like that.

1 Like

Not only a nice website, but a brilliant idea!
Recycled wood from barns and farmhouses. The farmhouse that I resided in in Switzerland was built purely of wood in 1783. The wood had aged beautifully and was as hard as iron. I wouldn’t recommend taking wood from the house itself, but the barn/stalls (built onto the house at the same time) was massive and a tasteful ‘renovation’ would supply hundreds of sq/m for such furniture.

1 Like

It is one of those win win win ideas that trounce any manmade material solution and requires genuine craftsmanship and innovation to execute.

1 Like

So today the Blocs Store opened already full with an impressive array of free and paid for Blocs, Bric, Templates, Videos and Tools. E.g. the MacMini demo template is free, an inline SVG Bric free, a date picker Bric free, column height equalisation Bric free, etc…

5 Likes