Any Elementor users in the house?

These numbers seem to be suspiciously large. If the backups are 40mb then I would expect the site to be closer to 40mb assuming the site is using compression as it should be.

It would be interesting if you could share with us the URL to see if it appears to be slow.

I , like everyone else, look at WP sites frequently and I have not noticed a pattern of slowness

What would a RW site with 7pages/100 images be?

https://superhardmaterial.com/

1 Like

@Phil Runs perfectly fine with my relatively slow internet connection. Only pages a wee slow were in the blog section. But nothing really noticeable.

Thank you for checking.

WTF! And that’s a 7 page website?

60MB on the database and that’s before you add users, blog posts, comments, etc.

I’m surprised by that size I was thinking it’ll be around 10MB at a push.

WordPress core: 8.9 MB
Average plugins directory (/wp-content/plugins): 100 MB
Average theme directory (/wp-content/themes): 25 MB
Average uploads directory (/wp-content/uploads): 825 MB
Average MySQL database: 85 MB

Wordpress sites are edited via a browser so a fair comparison to RW would be to add the sizes of website, RW, Stacks, Themes and stacks.

2 Likes

Should have added this to above:

My Mac:
RapidWeaver 8: 113MB
Rapidweaver Addons: 270MB
RW project files (all warehoused images) 2MB through 115MB

I don’t think you are able to compare these numbers ;-)

I attempted to compare the total software disk space size required to construct a website. In one case most software sits on a local drive in the other case all software resides on the server.

I understand where you are heading too 👍

At the end what’s interesting is what’s generated on the server.

I have a bunch of wp installs. Some with a lot of posts, pages (in the hundreds). I’m going to take a look at their databases as I don’t recall them being so big especially on a site with such a low page count.

Size on Mac is not really relevant. As Jannis pointed out, it’s the size that the user has to download that is important.

1 Like

Not necessarily - PHP that runs server side is the biggest source of WP slowness.

It is all swings and roundabouts though - if you are prepared to pay for a very powerful server then you do the processing rather than shifting it to the users browser. This can therefore make for a faster experience for users / regions where older technology is prevalent.

We all tend to use very fast machines with relatively recent browsers where the client side load of processing of the web page is hardly noticeable.

The big problem occurs when amateurs build a tin pot (technical term) website that uses a WP page builder and 10’s of thousands of lines of PHP which is then hosted on squalorserver.com 's shared hosting plan for 42p a fortnight.

3 Likes

You are wasted (in several ways) writing code. You should write comedy shows with someone like Stewart Lee.

1 Like

Im guessing that this figure is for a site of substantial size, certainly more than 7 pages.

I have a WP driven site running with 120+ posts on it and the database is 27MB.

I also have another with 10K+ custom posts, 10+ plugins etc and that has a database that is 245MB.

These both use themes but no page builder plugins. Im interested to know how much page builder plugins bloat the database in order to create the layout and styling.

Very sweet! https://elementor.com/blog/introducing-motion-effects/

1 Like

Paul C from WPTuts also recently released an 80 minute video about creating an Elementor website from scratch using Pro, plus Hello theme. I’ve only watched part of it so far, but seems very nicely done. The combo of Elementor Pro and the minimal Hello theme would seem to fit right at home with many RW users.

Here’s the link:

4 Likes

Yes I saw this - very nice

A couple of days ago I built a local site (MAMP) following the video (WPTuts videos are amongst the best). Elementor’s Theme Builder is powerful and I really liked the use of a Child Theme. I am going to try changing themes on a staging site but playing with Elementor Pro’s Motion Effects has delayed things.

1 Like