Anyone here good with graphic design?

Just curious Gary & Paul,

Did y’all learn AD and/or Graphic by trial and error, You Tube videos, or something else? I’m pretty handy with Ps, but I’ve never figured Illustrator out. I purchased AD a year ago and do minor modifications (to existing files) in it, but there’s no way in hell I could have created the chain like Paul did…in a morning or a year, with my current knowledge.

I’ve also downloaded the beta for APublisher, and am expected to know it fairly well for my 9-5 job (they wanted me to know InDesign…but Publisher looks easier).

Cheers!

PS- I learned all I know about Ps from watching the old Russell Brown videos. They made learning Ps so easy.

Trail and error and YT when I’m looking for something specific, I’ve got a background in CAD so a vector graphic’s app is a logical extension. I’ve used Corel Draw, Xara etc for years.

1 Like

I started with Corel3 which if you learn the basics that will give you a good grounding in basic web graphics.

My absolute favourite was and is FireworksMX which was the partner of DreamweaverMX back when they still had a lot of Macromedia in them. Adobe royally screwed that all up and eventually killed off Fireworks which was a complete travesty. Adobe know nothing about web graphics IMHO.

What Fireworks and Autodesk Graphic do which is perfect is that you don’t need to add a layer for every new thing as this is done automatically for you so you can for example add a circle and it appears on the page and ayer is automatically created for you in the background.

Illustrator and Affinity Designer are printed page tools that can be used to create web graphics. Photoshop has almost nothing to do with web graphics apart from image effects and resizing. I have all 3 and cannot remember when I last used them.

I keep checking out Sketch but that too seems to be an Illustrator based app and always seems dated to me.

Buy Graphic and watch some of the video tutorials and you will have everything you need.

1 Like

Final bit of help needed o this one now before it gets signed off…

I need to thin out the service tasks, there are just too many on the page. I’m thinking below the first row of serice packages (basic, standard, full) I need a “read more” type link that opens up the rest. I’ve had a play with some accordions but it’s not working.

Something in my head is saying LimeLight, but beyond using LL for lightboxes I’m not too sure.

Anyone any ideas?

Use Will’s Toggle Plus which is very powerful.

I actually have that, but just completely ripped off a Limelight setup from @tav LL demo and it worked a treat.

Sorted.

Cheers for the help on this folks.

Gaphic app by Picta ?

This one - https://www.graphic.com

1 Like

I recently jumped on Graphic wagon and happy to hear and learn more. Their YouTube channel tutorials were helpful for I started from zero experience.

1 Like

There are some useful addons plugins too for Graphic (Google it) such as the Size canvas to selected object one.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will look into it :)

Just saw this - I learned Affinity Designer (from scratch) by watching a free tutorial on Tutsplus.com. Look for Affinity Designer Quickstart - a little over 2.5 hours long. Short lessons, clear and to the point.

1 Like