Blueprint Sidebar BG colours

I can’t find a way to set the BG colour for the Aside are. The BG Sidebar Child colour appears to only apply to the content area and I am wondering if I have missed something simple here?

Read the information text at the top of the settings.

Overlay child for aside, background child for content.

That top BG message is what made me this something is not right. I only see 2 Sidebar Childs - 1 Background and 1 Overlay. TheBackground child looks like the general one used elsewhere throughout the BWD Empire.

I have SideBar v1.10 inside BluePrintOne v1.10 which is in a stack called BluePrint.stack and I don’t see any duplicates.

I did a quick, not very pretty, test. It seems to be working, unless I’m misunderstanding.

How did you select the blue and yellow with 1 BG child?

The “Overlay” is the aside Yellow.

Aah! So it does.

I understood “Add Background child stacks for content and Overlay child stacks for sidebar backgrounds” slightly differently to Add a Background child stack for content and an Overlay child stack for sidebar background.

I went looking for a BG Content Child and a BG Aside Child and never checked the Overlay which I would have expected to be both an Overlay Content and an Overlay Aside in my dumb head.

Many thanks both.

Ahem.

(Just saying)

;-)

1 Like

I’m not sure what you are saying? Is there something not working?

The background and overlay stacks are of course the shared ones found in ProStyles.

We need to use the overlay for the aside as in the case of aidebar we have 2 divs that can accept backgrounds. Given that they work by just applying a class name then we need to use the 2 different children.
The alternative would be a separate add child button and drop zone for each column which would get hugely complex and confusing in edit mode

The pluralisation of the word backgrounds indicates its application to both of the preceding objects.

As you will know, the number of characters in an info control is limited to two lines.

Works perfectly when you know how to use it.

I just got thrown by the ever so slightly (and maybe I shouldn’t have even mentioned it) ambiguous text at the top which I read literally and too fast and as is often the case, didn’t process it enough.

The text says: “Add Background child stacks for content and Overlay child stacks for sidebar backgrounds”

I read “Add Background child stacks for content and …” and went looking for 2 BG stacks.

What I didn’t process in my head was “Add a Background child stack for Content BG and an Overlay child stack for Sidebar BG”.

All good. Thanks

2 Likes

If you set an image to be the background/overlay then it’ll auto scale to the height of the content in the other ‘column’
Scroll down till you see the section called ‘The Practice’ and note how the image is ALWAYS the height of the text when you change browser width: https://www.dma-ni.com/

That’s neat (in the US sense).

I’m using the “auto-height” feature in a new site I’m presently working on, check the colour in the Aside area (sidebar): https://www.ci-clientservices.com/bespoke/workshop/

You may also already know this, but you can manipulate the size and location of the background/overlay using one of the child stacks, which can make for some nice visuals. If used in conjunction with the BP’s “pull up” feature you can get some nice effects: https://www.fixvelo.co.uk/

Nice sites. Not sure what you meant by auto-height feature in the first.

Also on a different observation, laser alignment aides for rear mech! I’m still struggling to see the issue with cable operated mechs that required going electric. If you can something with cable then do it with cable.

Electric shifting exists for several reason. First and foremost to increase sales. Also, to overcome the problem of ever complicated cable routing and for Shimano, to remove the need to constantly trim the front mech on a road bike.

I used Di2 once, it’s nice, and could almost persuade me to use Shimano, but ultimately it’s a solution to a problem that exists because Shimano can’t design their system to work correctly with more than 8 gears without stepping outside their own patents.

SRAM have an interesting take on using electric, with a bluetooth system that requires no wires, which if I were to go electric is the route I’d take, but as I ride steel with mechanical disc brakes and a 10sp drivetrain, I’m a long way off making the jump.

Removing cables and wires is a valid reason if it is reliable.

I have a bluetooth Wahoo RFLKT device I use for some stuff on my roadbike handlebars and it displays stuff sent via Bluetooth from my iPhone stored in my central back pocket. If I drink a lot, then it interupts the reliability of the bluetooth signal from the iPhone passing through me, to the RFLKT device about 1m away. Bodies full of liquid are not good for reliable bluetooth.

It will be interesting to see how the SRAM system holds up and I guess they don’t want to use ANT+ because they are not bed partners with the ANT boys. We didn’t need Bluetooth to get to the moon, although maybe the Chinese used Bluetooth and ended up on the wrong side.

Really?

Given that the human body is mostly liquid anyway, surely you’d have to drink a fuckload make a significant difference?

I think the Bluetooth signal is on the edge of getting through my athletes body and adding a full 750ml water bottle load of liquid before a ride seems to push me over the required transmission transparency. Using my rear side pockets improves things but the phone is not as secure in those side pockets.

I think, on balance, unless an expert says othwise, I’m gonna have to call bullshit on that!