".-Contents.plist couldn't be opened"

A problem last week resulted in a disk being ejected unwittingly. A real joy as all the stacks were stored on the disk too. Everything was up and running in 15mins or so, but I’m left with this message every time I export.

Any thoughts which .plist file may be referred too?

Projects are sorted on an external disk (so I can work between machines) but all stacks are now stored on individual machines - the message appears for all projects, on both machines…

Thanks for any thoughts!

There was a same thread in the RW forum about this, I don’t think with a real outcome. This seems to be a hidden system file. Do you have a backup?

Thanks @Jannis

Oh dear!

I do have backups, but this is both machines, with all projects, so rolling stuff back is not so easy, as a lot of work has been done on many of the projects. Hmm!

Bizarrely, everything is working fine, just the message is annoying!


I re-created a project from scratch (well, pages copied) but still the message occurs. I’m puzzled as to whether it can be the Application files as it occurs on both machines.

Update 2

It has to be the Application files, as a brand new project with a single page still bought up the issue - or a file in RW Addons, as I copy the set to both machines…Can’t find one while browsing with hidden files showing.

One reference I found:


You Sir, are truly amazing!!!

I cannot believe @Jannis could be so kind as to search this up

I guess that as I’m not a programmer, I assumed this was a self-inflicted issue from the crash and forcible ejection of the disk, I did not really think about it being an Apple file system issue. This article is extremely helpful, thank you so much Jannis 🥲


Following on from @Jannis’ investigations, I appear to have solved the issue! Move the files to the Mac’s internal drive.

In the past my sites were always stored on dropbox, then iCloud with few issues, except the occasional frustration with slow sync. Very recently I moved the sites to a fast USB-C drive and the issues began - moving them back to the internal drive on the Mac has resolved the dot underscore problem.

1 Like