Crappy RW performance on new iMac, old iMac, but AWESOME on 2010 MCP!

Same here. DropBox has become more and ore problematic and often consuming too much CPU when it should be almost dormant. I think the good DropBox days are no over.

1 Like

I’d recommend either box.com or sync.com

Just so I and others can understand what is going on in the background…

Addons folder shared over Dropbox…
When editing, adding stacks, just scrolling up and down the page in edit mode…
Will RW be “talking” to the addons folder to the extent it will cause DB to update it?

It’s more if you update any stacks etc

I have more or less everything on DB, I’ve used it for years, since not long after it launched. In terms of it’s syncing and background stuff it might be a bit flakey right now, but I trust it.

Problem with most of the others, lesser known, less time in the game, I don’t trust them enough to put my data with them.

Perhaps that view is entirely wrong and my faith entirely mis-placed!

I was the same. Used to have a pro account.

1 Like

I should add it’s box.com I use to sync my RW project files. I have used box and sync.com to sync my Addons. Sync.com didn’t work so well the RW packages.

Disappointingly, as you suspected, didn’t make any improvements :-(

Guessing now the only thing to do is rebuild the new iMac.

That’s my weekend gone then.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Not wanting to bang on about Fusion drives again, so glad I don’t mention that the current iMac Fusion SSD partition is not 128GB or even 32GB these days, it is 24GB!

Unbelievable penny pinching.

Also not sure if Apple ever got the Fusion drive SSD optimisation working efficiently. Ironically Microsoft were much better at optimising the mostly used files into the SSD. MacOS can spend a lot of time optimising the files which slows the system down.

I still have an early hybrid drive with 32Gb SSD and even though the whole MacOS fits easily into the SSD part, the performance of the same Mac with an SSD was significantly better than the hybrid drive.

I reckon we need a “Naylor Issues” thread ;-)

That would indeed be a long thread. I would probably have to make it a Ted type conference. Hell no, that would not be big enough, it would have to be elevated into a Summit.

1 Like

Interesting. I have a project that is very slow on my Macbook Pro 15", 16GB, 2.7 Ghz i7 with Radeon 460. When I hit preview it takes 5-8 seconds for RW to start preparing the preview. Preparing!
I opened this project on my Macbook Air 2011, i5 with 4 GB Ram and it was faster! Strange…
My RW folder is in Dropbox on both Macs and both are updated to the latest OS and Software.