Developer Webinars

Ok Im bringing this up again because I really would like both personally and for us as a community to help create and host “developer webinars”

I have learned a huge amount from attending Marten’s webinars and even more when we had a couple of developers come along to the group.

Could other developers get involved with giving some webinars on their products and also on topics that are useful for RW site development.

For instance personally I would like to have webinars on

• Forms - getting them to work and linking them to a database etc
  • IDs and selectors and how they work/what to do with them
  • basic CSS
  • BWD - Master Styles
  • BWD - Limelight
  • JW’s Total CMS - beyond the basics
  • Fonts and Font Pro

What do people think?

(I would be more than happy yo host and collate them if that would be useful. Happy to just attend too!!)

TIA

A:)

3 Likes

I have volunteered for 5 of them so that a bit harsh

You might want to check in with Joe. I believe the plan for the rapidweaver conference was to move towards a few smaller conferences throughout the year. He’s got some infrastructure setup already so maybe there’s a fit there?

Sorry I should have actually written something with the post. It wasn’t personal @Tav as I know you have and Im v sorry. And yes please!!

I suppose I was watching it go down the list, a bt like the other one I posted , so I guess I probably was having a pout!!! (Slaps own wrists lol)

Hi @alixnotes,

I’d love to help if I can - of course Marten’s chats fall in mid-morning for me and I usually am available in afternoons - central time.

But, yes, once I get my next big EasyDB module launched, I’m sure lots of people would have an interest and if done at a different time for an hr, I could certainly try and help w/ general questions.

Bill
Stack-Its

2 Likes

I think Alix is trying to plan these and has the same (Zoom) setup. These are FREE Webinars. I think it’s a great idea.

I do think trying to cover some of these subjects in a 1 or 2-hour time slot would be next to impossible. Something like “basic CSS” or “ID’s and Selectors” can take quite a bit of time to cover.

2 Likes

I used to teach incommensurate phase transitions in polar dielectics in an hour - CSS is a breeze :)

Seriously though, I have a couple of nearly ready to go lectures and given the basic functionality required and hour or two will be plenty. The key is that we are not trying to teach programming, just simple use cases that can be advantageous for non technical website designers to know; predominantly debugging and simple overrides.

2 Likes

I was only taking the mick - no worries.

1 Like

The WSC conferences are a different ball game all together. These are very small “hangout” style personal meetings that are much more of a question (interupt) and talk nature by comparison - an extension of @Marten 's Quantum help sessions in style rather than a conference or anything approaching it - developers providing stacks support more than anything else.

2 Likes

The key is that we are not trying to teach programming, just simple use cases that can be advantageous for non technical website designers to know; predominantly debugging and simple overrides.

Exactly!! :) and yes please!!

These are very small “hangout” style personal meetings that are much more of a question (interupt) and talk nature by comparison - an extension of @Marten 's Quantum help sessions in style rather than a conference or anything approaching it - developers providing stacks support more than anything else.

which could of course be recorded and used for aspects of customer support and/or we could make a library of tutorials in here that people could access…

Not sure where you got this ‘chat’ idea, @Stack-Its — these are highly productive bi-weekly 2-3 hour workshops where attendees get live help and tuition on their real-life projects and get to learn and share a wide range of web design skills in the collective and communal spirit engendered by this forum.

Marten

1 Like

Having been on every single one of Marten’s tutorials I must say they have been inordinately useful and worthwhile. And while Im not a coder, I was far from a beginner, having had and used RW since its inception.

1 Like

Problem for me with Joes conferences is that they are very expensive. To attend last year I had to beg, borrow and steal!!.