Getting a Google Maps API key for the first time

Hi All - I did my research first and bumped into Will’s excellent explanation / tutorial about the process (thanks Will )! My questions revolve around securing the API key (confusing) and, this potentially really dumb question… do I need to create a different key per website or is it per developer? I can’t really tell (can’t tell if your laughing either but I’m ok with that :)

Currently have a broken map for a client (done before the changes) and I’m working on a new website where I’ll be needing to implement a map for driving directions.

Thanks in advance!

You need a unique key for each site AND to enter your credit card info so that they can charge you if the site goes over the free limit, it’s a pita.
I replaced all my Gmaps with InStacks OpenStreetMap stack, the only reason to stick with google is if you need things like driving directions etc.

3 Likes

Thank you Paul - I did some more rooting around and bumped into Gary’s (Doobox) explanation with his Map 2 stack. Sounds like it would be hard to go over the limit in my case, I can’t see a dentist or a mechanic going over 25,000 map hits a month! I am providing driving directions for each client, so I’m stuck with Google.

Would you happen to know if ‘securing the key’ is basically the same as adding the referrers? Seemingly that defines where (domains, etc) the key is used. Does that also do the work of securing it? If so, Gary left good directions in that regard. Thanks again for your reply.

I’ll second OpenStreetMap. Also BWD Limelight has a good Google map feature

1 Like

Thanks guys. Here a reference: https://osmdemo.instacks.com/maps/

3 Likes

And thirded. Good stack.

1 Like

Yes, yes, all the love is well deserved… I need to make sure people have driving directions and it has been mentioned that Jannis’s stack doesn’t quite do that. Pleas correct me if I’m wrong :)

In the meantime, is anyone able to answer my last remaining question? Here it is:

Would you happen to know if ‘securing the key’ is basically the same as adding the referrers? Seemingly that defines where (domains, etc) the key is used. Does that also do the work of securing it?

Thanks in advance.

No, unfortunately not. You could still try this: OpenStreetMap

Yes, you restrict the keys from being used on any websites other than the ones entered, as shown in my screenshot. You can list different URLs/domains, so one “key” can be used on different sites. For the key below, I’m using one “key” on two totally different websites.

2 Likes

I prefer to go with the OpenStreetMap. If the numbers of calls are high then only should go with google maps

1 Like