Getting One’s Kit Off For The Weavers

Hello, Steve B here, in my alter-ego superhero persona, UiKitter.

My first project is “soft launched”, by that, I mean it’s out there, but I’m not shouting about it too much, as this is the first time I’ve made a project available for sale, so I want to keep things slow and quiet until I’ve ironed out any creases in how I’m distributing it.

It’s available to buy though, so feel free :-) Although, as Marten says, I will be making a discount voucher available to those at the Wednesday session, so best to get along to that and save some squid.

Skyline started as an exercise for me to learn UIkit3, which then morphed into Skyline. It’s not so much a ready-made website project, to which you can throw your content and publish, it’s more a collection of pages and ideas to explore the things you can do with UIkit3. You can, of course, pull out individual pages from the project to duplicate into a full website, but I’ve mostly focussed on “content sections”, which cover standard requirements. The idea being you can lift these sections and use on your sites.

On Wed I’ll go over the ideas behind these sections, how I’ve used custom classes to customise UIkit3 and as someone who uses RW to make commercial websites for clients, why I now won’t use anything other than UIkit3 (Spoiler: It’s fast, really fast!).

I will also give a sneak peek at my next UIkit3 project: OnePage, which will be a complete “website-in-a-project” solution, which you can use in its entirety to quickly deploy a stylish scrolling one-page UIkit powered website.

So, see you all on Wednesday, and in the meantime…

KEEP KITTING!

4 Likes

Hi @mitchellm , @Fuellemann

Unlike lesser webinar sessions where quantity often impacts quality, ours are indeed quite small and fun. Although they can be easily recorded they’re not like Joe’s conference webinars where one person talks and everyone listens. They’re much more freeform and personal — and as such are often both childish and adult in humour, content and language. In fact I’m sure you’d love them!

However, since they’re not suitable for those who are easily offended or take themselves too seriously — and because the content is sometimes personal — I’ll respect everyone’s privacy and not make them available for broadcast.

2 Likes

@Marten That’s too bad they can’t be shared, but I can certainly understand your reasons for not doing so. Thanks for the explanation.

Damn! You´ve nailed it!
I already bought platform recently and haven´t found the time to explore it at all until today.
(not to mention that I haven´t joined a zoom meeting for far too long although I would like to, need to finish my own website, clean up the garden, go to sleep early… etc.)

and now: another framework that sounds just too interesting…
is there any discount/promo un UIKit as well? I am desperately searching for justification to buy another framwork :D

1 Like

Ha! Totally feel your frustration! @Papart Mike, I started on Foundry (great by the way but limited) and then bought Platform because it was on offer but haven’t used it yet… Mainly because I was intrigued by UIKit and the more I read the more it sounded great. I bought it and never looked back! Just get it. It will save you money in saved time pretty damn quick imho. There’s a learning curve, but once it clicks it’s big cheesy grin time all the way!

Ironically, when I was first investgating Rapidweaver a month or so ago, UIKit was the first ‘framework’ I saw and probably what pushed my away from the other apps. I got a bit scared off at first as it looked too complicated… However its really not. Wish I’d bought it at the start!

2 Likes

@Papart
I understand there will be a discount code available to those who are willing neglect their websites, spouses and gardens in order to attend the zoom session where @Lucas will give another exhaustive presentation and answer questions.

1 Like

@Marten: Guess what – I will be on vacation next week and most likely will not make to visit the session (again). Which is weird, because usually I miss it due to workload- not due to vacation. ;)

@Papart

No worries — @Lucas 's session will be held on Tuesday 6th August… so plenty of time to get your excuses in order!

Next week 's Wednesday session will be when @TemplateRepo 's @steveb gives us a run-down of his latest project, as well as a sizable discount.

1 Like

Ah ok, august. the month following July. think, got it now! :)

1 Like

I’m confused. If I click on the Tuesday Link it comes up Jul 16th at 8:00 am (London). If I change the date to August 6th It still shows 8:00 am London time. That’s Midnight (12:00 am) on the West Coast of the US.

Is there going to be a Session on Wed the 7th of August at 5:00 pm London (9:00 am PDT) with @Lucas?

Hi @Teefers

Tuesdays we have our Workshop East sessions — from 8am - 10am (GMT) — which cater for our Asian and Australasian users, as well as early risers in Africa, Europe and the Middle East.

Wednesdays we have our Workshop West sessions — from 5pm - 7pm (GMT) — which cater mostly for Western users.

As far as I’m aware, no. However, if there’s a groundswell of interest registered here, we’ll certainly raise the possibility.

Upon the recommendation of a certain Steve (forgot his last name) I purchased Platform…
… when it came to writing a review, I (IMHO) found it to be well, let’s say “Lacking”, so rather than write a negative review I deleted the sad affair.

Now that same guy is recommending yet another piece of kit that’s going to eat into my very limited financial resources.
I’m more than reluctant to commit to waste dollars that I don’t have on yet another framework (I already have so many that have morphed into resource-eating behemoths), so I shall do my damndest to attend one of the upcoming UKit sessions to get an impression of the necessity of spending yet more $$$s.

WHY?? RW needs more support from developers who’s aim it is to improve overall performance and less support from devs that think that grabbing a scrap of freebie code from the net and morphing it into a stack is the Bee’s Knees, or as that Steve-guy would say, “the dog’s bollocks”. So if the Archetypon, no! what’s it called now?? something with ‘Kingdom’; well, if their kit’s any good, you can expect a review soon…

1 Like

Did I recommend it? Did I? ;-)

I did say positive things about it I know, and that was based on the loosest play with it. And I did too find limitations when I started to try to build a project with it. So ya, I take that one on the chin, hands up. I stand over some of what I recall I said about Platform, but I did offer opinions before really digging too deep though, so your criticisms are just.

But, I don’t recommend anyone as to how to spend their money, I just give my opinion and experience, it’s up to the individual to do their own research and make their own buying decisions.

:-)

If your resources are that limited why did you buy something based on someones recommendation instead of using that as a guide and doing your own research?? Jeez I hear advertisers on TV recommending I buy stuff all the time but I’d be a bit silly if I went out and did that without finding out if I really needed a new kind of hair conditioner with new made-up-o-balls in it… (especially as I don’t have any hair left!)

Its not a certain Steve’s fault you messed up.

No, not Steve’s fault that I fell for the hype — he even publically apologised.
Fact is that I have a great deal of respect for the guys and gals that post on this forum and don’t get the impression that they’re selling hair products!

Maybe you could read to the end of my post…

@rob, I’m teasing Rob… You did sound a bit accusatory (if that’s a word) to me anyway… I’m certainly not criticising you as I myself have spent a small fortune on stacks and now that i have UIKit I hardly use them! Including Platform I might add.

I did read the end of your post but I miss-understood you to be referring to the devs for packaging up free existing script into stacks… Sorry about that… Still, it makes it easier for me to use if they keep doing that :-)

No hard feelings…

Without wanting to take this off topic, I think what clouded my initial opinions was the fact I got it for about £13 thanks to the introductory offer. And at that price, it was a bargain. I think I commented at the time though that once at full price I wasn’t so convinced of the value.

But anyway, I don’t offer review, just opinions, I don’t claim to be an expert, just a user.

Maybe best to move this to a seperate thread though so as not to piss on @Marten carefully constructed OP?

Thanks Marten,

I would be interested in a “west” session with @Lucas. I would love to learn more about UIkit from the author, but won’t be doing any midnight sessions at my age.

Looking forward to meeting you on August 6/7 re: UIKit3

Ros

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: On Reviews [post split from Getting Ones Kit Off For The Weavers]