GoCMS vs GoCMS Unlimited

I grabbed the demo, added a page to my dev site, published, once logged in I just see a blue screen.

Anyone else seeing the same with the demo?

TCMS, Pulse, and mine are storing the content in files.

Easier to backup and handle.

1 Like

Yours, as in Poster?

The content for Poster is stored in the uploaded MD files, no?

I do get that 90% of RW users prefer flat file thingies (because they don’t like databases), but I’ve had bad experiences with republishing the site causing live updates to get lost and live updates refusing to be updated via RW without FTPing in and deleting the content files.

I’ve always viewed flat files as an invention to fix a user problem (inability to setup/link databases) as opposed to a better way to do things. Whereas educating the user would be time better spent. IMO.

Maybe I’m just old fashioned, but I trust databases far more than random files on the server. To my mind, the way to store content added via live to a website is in a database. Anything else is a compromise. Maybe I’m wrong or just not moving with the times.

Regards Poster: For Poster, I’d use flat files, because I’m deeply embedded with the stack and am happy to overcome my prejudices to enable my clients to post their own content. But I doubt I’d jump in on a new system that used it unless it was really really good.

Yes, I agree. Give me a database any day of the week.

It’s a personal choice for the user, but I much prefer content in what I consider to be logical places.

If you have had problems then you need to be sure that it is the file location is the issue and not something else causing the issue.

I have used many Blogs and CMSs over several years using Armadillo (database) and also Pulse4 (flat file) and they have been utterly reliable and dependable and both require a 5 minute setup. I have had issues using EasyCMS but this has been due to many updates interfering with the process and nothing to do with flat file CMS storage. Also the support from Nimblehost (Armadillo) and Pulse (Jannis and Michael) has be as good as support gets. I had to wait 2 weeks for support for another system which stopped me from using it again.

I really liked Pulse4 and it was so easy to use and so feature rich. I understand why Pulse5 had to change but the change to it’s business model no longer fitted my requirements and I really miss having a Pulse solution.

Over the last few years, there has also been a lot of marketing crap and flat file propaganda going about in the past which I think turned some Weavers away from Armadillo.

1 Like

I think we all do, but CMS flat file systems don’t save file random files on the server.

Armadillo is database.

I had no idea.

Not asking, telling. Armadillo isn’t flat file, it’s database. It’s why it’s still my go-to even after all the sexy kids on the block rocked up.

There is one genuine potential advantage of a flat file system in that you can easily jump into the folders of files with an FTP app and see what’s going on with a text editor, which is useful when a user pastes formatted text or code or whatever into a blog post or text CMS and gets irate.

I would argue that CMS’s should remove anything that is not allowed and check for complete and correct data before accepting any update, but we are not there yet.

2 Likes

Yupp, and in its successor 😉

3 Likes

Plans to add content zones?

So back on topic. GoCMS Unlimited for the currently reduced price of $75 looks very attractive except for one thing IMHO.

You can’t add or edit images from a mobile or tablet and this would be a complete show stopper for many blog users. With increasing use of mobile & tablet ownership for users who have no other device, this lack of a basic feature is a big omission that needs to be fully understood by anyone using GoCMS.

The Pulse App was always a real hit with customers and it is one of those things that customers expect an App and when they see it they get a warm fuzzy.

1 Like

To be honest, i think that might actually be a bonus.

The issue with adding images via a phone/tablet, is that users will snap a photo and add it. So, unless the CMS system has an image manipulation system built in (none do to my knowledge), I’d say it’s a feature best left out.

I know they can upload daft big images via the desktop, but at least there is a process involved that slows them down, and gives them time to think.

Successor? SUCCESSOR? Tell us more! Screenshots, Videos - put it all here!!

3 Likes

👍

🤫

2 Likes

Add me to the beta list when you’re ready.

You are in already 😉

1 Like

Hi Jannis

If GoCMS is an upgraded Poster Stack on steroids that enables admins to work on their site remotely (as I believe it does) GoCMS should be a killer stack.Although my personal use case remains at Poster Stack levels I can honestly seethe values and virtues of GoCMS and let’s not forget the awesome support that you provide.

Is there any solution for the blue screen already? I bought the stacks and still got only a blue website when I preview the page in my browser.