Headless Wordpress blog into a RW site?

First off, I’m not doing this as some mental way to add a blog to a RW site, per se. The situation I have is I need to add a ten-year-old blog in WP to a clients new site, built in RW. The old WP blog is purely an archive, for SEO and backlinks dotted around the web and users bookmarks. The WP blog will NEVER have any new posts made to it.

I’ve moved the WP blog from the old server and got it up and running on my server replicating the URL’s perfectly, and I am tempted to just leave it “as-is”, ie. not dropping it into a RW page, but as all the talk lately is of “headless” Wordpress, I figured I’d at least look into it.

And therein lies the problem: “Headless” is all the rage (tomorrow it’ll be scorned!), as such, there are a million web pages explaining how to do it, although in reality almost done of them do, it’s just the usual clickbait fest.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to using the WPOpenQL plugin (catchy name), but I’m then a bit lost on what to do next. I’m finding lots of info about going headless with WPOpenQL and React, but I don’t think that is what I want. I don’t think.

Asides from the peeps who talk about doing this, is there anyone out there who has either, A. Done it, with a RW site. Or B. Knows an actual way to do it with a RW site, not just thinks it’s a cool idea?

I’m trying to be precise here, as chatting to people who straddle the RW/WP world everyone is banging on about how great this is, but no one I’ve chatted with has either done it, or knows how to do it!

Ta.

So just leaving it as a standalone archive is the way to go then! Thought it might be.

Cheers Tav.

Which content is inside the WP blog? Only text and images? Or also more difficult content like galleries, shop integrations, etc?
How many old posts do you have?

Only posts, only text and images, 157 posts in all.

I’ll message you the URL to the test version I did.

This would be a perfect candidate site for the Wordpress embed stack. 😉
Easy to integrate and low maintenance, all old URL’s preserved.