In for a penny... Wordpress... Help

Same with me! I really appreciate it, too.

Anybody interested in seeing how you build a website using Oxygen Builder, there is a great video here

2 Likes

Justin,

You mentioned possibly doing a second video on more dynamic aspects of Elementor Pro. That would be very useful. Even just a runthrough of how you set up your blog/case studies in your site.

On a more practical-immediate level: you mentioned everything with editing would go much more quickly if you weren’t editing online. So how do you do that? Is that a MAMP thing? And to use MAMP (or whatever else you do for offline) does this require having 2 copies of Elementor? (I’m mainly thinking of some of my students who had slow internet connections. But they are only purchasing 1 copy of Elementor, not the 1,000 copies version)

Thanks again.

1 Like

A local website does not count as the 1 domain website.
MAMP is a local server on a Mac to build your website(s). It is very easy to install. It loads the latest php & MySQL etc
After installation of MAMP, create your database for your website in MySQL & run the WordPress installation to create your website. There are many videos on YouTube you can follow.
WordPress is very stable & is especially good for blogging.
Hope this helps.

It has nothing to do with the Hello theme. It is about the fact that Oxygen only loads what it needs on a page unlike Elementor, Divi, Beaver Builder, Cornerstone. I think Louis used Hello.

The best way to understand Oxygen is to go to their website & read about Oxygen being “bloat” free.

Louis R has made many videos including how to make your website faster.

You can also try out Oxygen in their sandbox.

It is important to understand there is a steep learning curve. You have to understand CSS & JavaScript. This is not for newbies or for people who want to drop modules onto a page & build a website quickly.

In terms of design, you are limited only by your imagination. As mentioned there is no theme because you effectively build your own theme, although there are some starter packs such as Atomic.

As @Raimo pointed out, the price is very good - LIFETIME is Lifetime, like Divi, & not just the version lifetime. Prior to Version 3, it was a mere $99. Now there are 3 versions: you can still purchase Oxygen for $99 but if you want WooCommerce or Gutenberg, you will have to buy these 2 options as well. Even so, the price is very competitive & frankly, cheap.

Good luck!

1 Like

@1nf0t3ch Thanks for sharing! I’ve installed MAMP and installed Elementor Pro to run with it. It is super fast! This is nice.

Regardless of tool (Elementor, Oxygen, whatever else) what is the best way to “transfer” the work from your computer to the actual site? I notice Mamp Pro offers this option. And I saw a plugin that will also do this. I’m interested in what might be the best way if others have opinions/experience with this.

I’m personally now interested in MAMP Pro as I can use on Dropbox. Any problems with that? I have 2 computers I use regularly, so it would be nice to share work via Dropbox. But perhaps there are better options. Willing to pay for Pro if it’s worth it.

As you say, there are WordPress plugins such as: All in One Migration; Duplicator; Back Up Buddy are the 3 most popular. All are free but have a pro-version. You will need to test each one & see what is best for you.

I have not purchased MAMP Pro. It looks very good! I would also suggest you look at Local by Flywheel.

Good luck!

Ros

1 Like

@1nf0t3ch Ros: Thanks very much. I’ll check them all out. Using a trial version of MAMP Pro and find it very very nice! Will almost surely purchase it.

I’ve just had a play around with the templates on the site and it seems fairly intuitive. Is there a reason you say it’s not for beginners?

I don’t consider myself as clever as many of the folk here and have thought it sounds a bit of a steal at the moment.

Hello I also have purchased Oxygen with agency license and I also like it. Take a bit to learn though. But not to difficult to learn.

1 Like

@Kent Awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve been using Oxygen for a couple of years now and certainly prefer it over Divi! Here’s a recent site I built with it: Offbeat Scotland.

@Raimo @Kent There’s also a useful Slack channel you can join.

4 Likes

Nice looking site!

1 Like

Thanks, Rob. It has its ‘idiosyncracies’. Not sure about its pageload speed, though — I have been known to overdesign a page or two in the past — but I do like the ‘restrictive’ nature of Oxygen, in that it doesn’t offer me more than I need.

@1nf0t3ch I found the learning curve steep but short. As steep as any other pagebuilder, but short because it is, like you say, very intuitive. Personally I feel it would suit newbies and — with its library of design sets — even those looking for drag-and-drop simplicity.

As for the need to understand code, I think that only applies to those who really want to finesse and extend Oxygen’s capabilities in areas where it currently lacks, by design, in terms of ‘bloat’ — which I understand to mean Javascript.

In the linked website above, for example, I barely used any extra CSS, but that may be because I do like the way design constraints force me to think differently. I also don’t find the ‘coding’ aspect of Oxygen at all intuitive.

All that said, I still haven’t learned the concept of ‘build a website quickly’! Perhaps someone could explain that to me…

Thank you for letting us know about Oxygen Builder.

That was so convincing to me that I just bought the agency package, too 😆.
You should certainly get a bonus from them, LOL.

1 Like

Missed this - yeh Ill post dynamic layouts/ content - it’s really easy

For a local environment - I used https://localbyflywheel.com/ - not sure how the license bit works as I was on the free E version, I havent used it in ages as I just work online now - give it a try and see what happens - I’m sure it’ll work fine until you upload it then it’ll request the license… Cheers