Interesting new BBC layout - perfect for a Source Grid

I noticed that the latest BBC site is using an interesting layout that could be recreated using Source’s CSS Grid that would also be ideal for blog layouts. Ignore the news content.

Largest grid

Next width down

Next width down

Next width down

2 Likes

I’ll take your BBC layout and raise it.

https://demos.caffeineinjection.com/guesthouse/

;-)

2 Likes

Aha, but that doesn’t come with pics of Boris Johnson’s hair!

;)

Anyway, that’s a mighty nice theme!

1 Like

Very pretty, but for the Source users here it’s restricted by the Foundry fixed breakpoint limitations.

The BBC layout has some complex grid item location resizing that is easy to achieve in Source without any additional stacks and there is unlimited use of breakpoints at any value.

PS Some of the text is very hard to read in Firefox.

No it’s not. The theme is Foundry, the stacks, at least the clever scc grid stacks, are not. There are very few Foundry stacks in that site.

PS Some of the text is very hard to read in Firefox.

Don’t use Firefox then.

:-)

EDIT: I suppose I need to quantify that last comment: Can’t recall where it was reported, but I read it, and researched it, and it seemed fairly accurate. Something like less than 1% of cunsumer traffic is via Firefox. On mobile it’s so low, it’s almost not worth measuring, like 0.3%. So really, something not working in FF is like saying something doesn’t work in Samsung browser. Which incidentally has more users on mobile than FF!

1 Like

As of May 2022

Browsers Percentage Market Share
Browser Market Share Worldwide - May 2022
Edge 3.99%
Firefox 3.26%
Samsung Internet 2.85%

I’m one of the meaningless FF users lol.

Your text boxes have a white background in FF where it is dark in Safari. Usage aside, that’s a weird bug (for something as simple as colour to be different between browsers)

Most FF users are “web designers” ;-)

I suspect it’s cus the background isn’t a colour, per se. It’s actually blur effect with some brightness thrown in for good measure.

As of May 2022

That’s all global users, not just consumers. Plus, FF is really big, the biggest in some territories (Africa?), so the numbers are seriously skewed.

But really, the whole FF thing is jiust a bit daft nowadays. Back when they had 20% plus ofthe market, yes. But now? it’s just not relevent anymore.

It isn’t a bug according to Firefox. This function is defined in the Mozilla docs and is implemented in Firefox. However, what nobody can fathom is why Firefox has chosen to turn it off, by default. You can go deep into the FF settings and turn it on, but of course that only addresses your FF.

It’s just another ongoing example of why it’s best practice to test on all major browsers.

Or just not bother with a browser that while it has the stuff under the hood to make websites look like they should, it chooses to not turn it on!

By the way… I’m mostly just winding you up here. Waiting for a meeting to start and bored :-)

I know.

On that theme, how come it appears darker on non Firefox users?

Cus the bightness is turned down. Negative.

Weird.

For me it is completely transparent and for @jabostick it is lighter.

More reason to drop FF then :-)

On a serious note, why do you use FF?

Genarally I don’t but I have had reports of stuff that needs tweaking for FF. IMHO you shouldn’t ignore it and not design for it. It’s usage has grown and waned over the years, as all of the browsers have done. I always test on FF.

One good use for FF is the full page screen shot tool.

For me, it came down to sharing my computer with my wife and it was easier to keep her bookmarks and everything on one browser (she took Chrome) and I took the other. And then, as I used to do more split time between windows and mac, FF was just the more familiar one

@TemplateRepo Just for the record, the blur effect has a fallback setting for non supporting browsers such as Firefox and Opera Mini etc. It just needs a transparent black colour instead of the default transparent white colour setting in the settings.

Obviously no one outside the RW world would give a flying * but here you have committed a heinous crime. Would you like to borrow my sword to throw yourself on? I’m not using it today as I threw myself on it yesterday.

2 Likes

lol!

1 Like

If it’s all the same to you, I’d sooner not be impaled on your sword!

:-)

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I don’t have Firefox installed 😁

1 Like