Introducing... The "hackers" Knowledge Base For Rapidweaver

I admit I’m somewhat using the term “hacker” misleadingly, but hey, it got your attention ;-)

Over the last few days, I’ve added a new Knowledge Base section to the Template Repo site: https://www.templaterepo.com/knowledgebase/

The idea is to have one central place to find hacks, tips, custom CSS, and so on for your favourite RW theme, framework and stacks.

Most of the items in the KB (Knowledge Base) will have been gathered from the forums over the years. I’m not trying to take credit for them, I just figured it’d be cool to have them all in one searchable place.

Building and maintaining the KB is going to be no small task, so I’m looking for helpers. I already have one super helpful volunteer (I’ll not name him in case he wishes to remain anon), but it would be great to get a couple more.

All that’s involved is when you see something on the forums that you think others might find useful, first get the permissions to reproduce it, then add it to the KB. The KB is “CMS”, no need to use RW to add stuff, log in to the dashboard and add something.

At the moment the only items in the KB are my own hacks and gathered CSS snippets. Over time lots more will be added.

I must say at this point that the KB is in no way endorsed, or at the moment, supported by the devs. Its purpose is not to undermine them, but to try to reduce the support questions they might get in their inboxes and on the forums. Anything that contradicts the devs terms will not make it into the KB: In the main, we’re talking only about simple CSS hacks.

Happy to hear any suggestions, other than that, if you have a great hack, tell me about it!

2 Likes

A suggestion that may help you gain the Forums trust… if you begin with misrepresenting for attention, people will avoid you. It’s human nature.

Hi, have I misrepresented anyone or anything? I certainly didn’t mean too.

First sentence.

Hmmm, well I’d say either something got lost in translation for you, or you’re taking it too literally. I would suggest everyone has taken it in the light it was meant: It’s just a bit of humour.

But, thanks for your feedback, and I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

4 Likes

According to wiki: " A computer hacker is any skilled computer expert who uses their technical knowledge to overcome a problem."

I personally have never associated the word Hacker with nefarious activities. Just someone who knows what they’re doing on a computer. :-)

2 Likes

And, of course, the industry talks about white hat and black hat hackers to differentiate between benign and malign types.