Introducing the new FileTree stack

FileTree uses a relative path to a directory on your web server. It converts the resulting directory / file list into an interactive file tree. Just like a file browser on a computer, visitors to your website are able to drill-down through multiple levels of directories to browse files. You can configure FileTree to open files within the browser window, open files in a new tab, force files to download or wire-up FileTree to TopBox for lightbox support. Plus each time you add or remove files on the web server, FileTree updates without needing any input via RapidWeaver.

Possible uses of FileTree could include business press kits, a simple photographic or video gallery, organisation of course material, and any other tasks that require publication of multiple files within a structured hierarchy. Files can be added as resources in RapidWeaver or uploaded directly via FTP or Droplet stack.

The only dependencies of FileTree are a web server with PHP 7.1+ support and a theme with Font Awesome Icon v5 support. All free and paid themes at ThemeFlood (excluding Clean Slate) support Font Awesome 5 or you can include Font Awesome 5 yourself into a website if using older themes from elsewhere.

Please see the product page here for details about what FileTree can achieve and how to use it.

If you find this stack useful, please make a contribution here to support ongoing development and updates.

This is a screenshot below showing how files in FileTree can be lightboxed with TopBox. If you set TopBox as the FileTree ‘action’ some instructions are shown in edit mode for how to make your files open in TopBox. This is what the opened lightbox looks like:

PS: TopBox v5 will be available soon, hopefully towards the end of September. A phenomenally huge update with some fantastic new features. This will be a free update for all v4 users!

PPS: The office will be closed between Thursday August 29th 2019 and Saturday 7th September 2019 for vacation. This means that any support requests sent during this period will not get a reply. If you have an urgent question, it would be advisable to use the forums instead. Normal service will resume again in mid-September.

6 Likes

Version 1.0.1 of FileTree stack was released earlier today. This is available via automatic updates in Stacks.

This update sees a rewrite of the code used to handle link actions set to ‘download’. Now instead of the generic ‘download’ file name being used for every file, we use jQuery to use the actual file name. Example file:

https://example.com/my-files/something.pdf

Previously the file would download as download.pdf but now it downloads as something.pdf

This means that if people are downloading lots of files from your website, they will download with logical file naming.

I hope you’re continuing to get lots of use from FileTree. I’ve heard loads of positive things about it from different users. Thank you all for the positive words.

3 Likes

Congratulations on the update. It makes the stack even more amazing, and useful to me, to have the file names as the download names. I post rehearsal tracks online for choirs, and now I don’t even have to launch rapidweaver to keep the lists up to date, and when singers download files, they are all named correctly. Bravo!

1 Like

@fergus That’s great to hear, thanks for the feedback.

The stack was requested by a person who was collecting images of stamps or labels or something.

They already had a massive archive of scanned images organised into hundreds of directories by country name or similar. Far too many images to input into a gallery stack.

The existing file / folder structure they had on their webserver already worked perfectly for their needs. They just needed an easier way for people to navigate the images, to find what they were looking for. So this FileTree stack provided them with the perfect solution.

It sounds like FileTree is doing similar good work for you too!

The public Beta of TopBox v5 went out last week, so this will provide a lightbox option to bolt-directly onto FileTree. TopBox v5 now has a built-in audio player within the lightbox, which may be of interest to you. There’s an example of HTML5 audio here, using the custom control bar.

I started using this recently and it proved to be a very useful way to debug a CMS system. Great stack and one that has many applications.

2 Likes