"Invalid URI. Load of media resource failed" browser error

The issue/bug I noticed came from @tav’s Section Pro stack, but I’m posting this in general because I think it’s probably more global (or related to Firefox).

Anyway, I have a background video (an .mp4) on a page and it is working fine. I noticed that I opened the browser inspector to look at something unrelated and parts of the page froze on me (in particular the Mega Menu stack). The only browser error I could find was the Invalid URI… one. I did a bit of googling and found another user who realized it was from an empty video source tag (<source src="" type="video/webm">).

So, I had a look in my page code and I indeed had one of these (as well as one for the ogg file type). When I FTP’d into my index.php file and removed those, the error went away and so did my issues with Mega Menu freezing.

I realize that it’s because I haven’t specified anything in the webm/ogg file types in my Sections Pro settings. As I understand it, though, mp4 is the only one you need nowadays.

So, I guess I have a couple of questions:

• Does my diagnosis above make sense?
  • Should we still be uploading webm and ogg files to our server? If not, is there something I can put in the Video source links so that Invalid URI error/warning doesn’t pop up?

A couple of caveats:

• This only happens in Firefox, as far as I can tell.
  • It seemed to work fine when you load the page, it wasn’t until I opened the Developer Tools that anything went awry. So am posting this out of curiosity not urgency (or because I think there’s a bug somewhere in RW/Stacks/Sections Pro).

Firefox does not show an error for me, it only shows a warning (yellow triangle) which is normal for a missing URL. In reality, the browser won’t even try to load the OGG and WEBM if it finds a MP4 first. That warning is really therefore more of a parse warning.

I really don’t see how a missing url warning could cause a “mega menu to freeze” although I have no idea which menu stack you are using.

Why not send me a project file with just the video section and the mega menu showing the issue and I will take a look.

Will do. It’s Mega Menu from 1LD, by the way. Though I agree I don’t know why the two would be at all related…
EDIT:
Alright, I can’t replicate it now either (with a simplified project or the original). So, I’ll chalk it up to … ghosts? The alt-right? ¯\ _ (ツ)_/¯

If it comes up again, I’ll try and investigate further

I take that as I’m good to leave these blank in the Sections Pro setting?

Yes, it should be no problem at all