My first-time experience with Blocs

Don’t need the vet trip now, the wee fella is starting to cope with the pain better.

So, here ya go: http://ci-clientservices.com/clientdev/blocdemo/index.html

15mins from clicking new project to publishing.

Yes, it’s a bit bland, yes, it’s a bit vanilla. But it’s using 100% native pre-fab’d blocs and… 15mins! All that content can now be customised to your hearts content. For RW theme users, I’d say tis is a far better way to go, but horses for courses.

This

1 Like

Thanks to @steveb, @Webdeersign and others for your replies over the past 5 or so hours. This info is all very useful. I hope to have time to play around with Blocs sometime in the next 3 to 6 months.

1 Like

Give me a wink if you like to have the CMS for Blocs then 😄

1 Like

This would have been my question: Is there a CMS where there can be EASILY added pages? Is that possible with Blocs?
Own it too but only played with it until now. BTW – good luck with your dog, Steve

No one I know of.

There is a wordpress export coming soon.

Blocs currently supports October CMS that lets you add pages once hosted, I think Pulse CMS May too.

WP theme creation and export will land in 2020 for Blocs users, that will open even more doors.

You aren’t able to get new Pulse or October CMS pages into the Blocs navigation.

1 Like

Oh yeah, never thought of that.

@Norm What does WordPress export really mean? What exactly will it do? For example, within WordPress I can create templates for single blog posts, for single pages, for archive/category pages, for menus, etc. So in a future Blocs one creates these templates and they’ll export? Or something else?

Wordpress uses a theme to give you the Boilerplate visual layout and style, this can be easily switched as data is separate. Blocs will allow you to create these themes to use in Wordpress. You decide how many different page templates and options your WP theme has when creating it in Blocs.

All the sites dynamic data will, as normal, be stored in a Wordpress database.

The theme you create in Blocs will work like every other WP theme, support widgets, plugins, post loops, additional pages. You the creator, can just build custom themes for all purposes without using a page builder plugin, themes you could actually sell on theme forest, with no dependencies on plugins like elementor etc.

4 Likes

@Norm Thanks for your reply. Quite helpful to me.

Now the next biggie question: any plans for a Windows version of Blocs in the future. If so then I could use it in a Web Design course for my students. But I need to use something that works with Mac and Windows. Unfortunately RW does not do that. My “go to” has been WordPress and Elementor. Not a bad solution, but I think Blocs to WordPress templates might be even better.

1 Like

No plans. I’m dedicated to the Mac at the mo.

@norm Have you any examples of Blocs projects built to create the WP theme that you can share? I’m curious to see how such a project is built, in terms of what elements are included in the project that how that relates to the WP install…

I have various resources I’ll share next year.

@Jannis I’m a ways from really testing out Blocs, but it’s good to know you’ve developed a CMS to work with it! I’ll keep this in mind.

3 Likes

@Norm @Jannis

Not quite true with Pulse/Blocs

• If you use the Pulse {{navigation}} tag instead of the Blocs menu, you can add pages and menu items right inside of the Pulse dashboard
2 Likes

Sorry I totally forgot 😐

1 Like

This is a very impressive list of achievements for Blocs in the last 12 months - https://blog.blocsapp.com/blocs-2019-year-in-review-ede4add5112b - So good to see small independent UK developers making such an impact in web creation tools.

150 New Features

287 Fixes and Improvements

The Blocs Store

… With over 100 listed add-ons already

33 Blocs Add-ons

… almost all of them are completely free for Blocs users.

100 Knowledge Base Articles

Community Forum Growth

3 Likes