Need some help processing some images

I’ve been sent some images, .jpg, that (in theory) I just need to batch process in Afinity Photo before adding to an online store. Only, there is summit a bit odd with the images.

This is one example…

It has a .jpg extension, but when I drop it into Photo it’s got a trans background, which I didn’t think was poss with a jpeg, only something like a png.

Is this really a png that someone has just changed the extension for?

Also, it’s got a resolution of 300 which is resulting in huge file sizes. I need to lower this to around 72-140, but that massively reduces the size.

I’m reasonably good with images but haven’t quite come across this issue before.

Help!

Weirdly, sending that image thru the forum adds a background, so here is that same photo as I have it, with the trans BG.

1 Like

From the info attached to the photo it looks like this was made with Windows-based Photoshop CS5 – specifically for print. Then, someone just changed the extension from PSD to JPG.

If I were you, I would just load it into Photoshop (or other image editor), edit it for web and export as PNG (if you want transparency) or as JPEG.

4 Likes

Brill. Thanks for digging that out.

Top advice from @fapkogi as a PSD in disguise will work in some browsers but not others causing much confusion when you try to find out why.

2 Likes