New BLOG Project 30 - 8 variations on our own blog

Here is a new Project based on variations on the Webdeersign site blog.

A few asked about making it available as a Project so here it is with a total of 6 variations (now 8 variations). The Project uses SOURCE and inStacks POSTER2. Each page is a standalone page that can be pasted as a whole page into your project.

Then just edit the individual blog items content in Markdown and select your image, and publish to have a beautiful fresh blog.

8 Likes

1 Like

That’s interesting, I can use this, for a project I just started that must be as lightweight as possible because it is located in Burkina Faso.

Cool. Those Burkina Faso bloggers go nuts for a light fast blog.

1 Like

I was admiring your new blog the other day. Great to see it available as part of a project now too. Another cracking Source / Poster project!!

3 Likes

Thanks. Source is ideal for building Poster2 Templates because you can position items very precisely within the available space and maintain the look of a hand coded blog.

The Google PageSpeed score takes a tumble form 100% down to 99%/98% due to the large number of images being used and also their overly large size. I use a single set of 1200px by 600px images in both jpg and webP formats for all 6 blog pages to simplify the distribution of the images for the demos. If these are reduced to the max size they will be displayed at, this would make a significant size reduction.

Google is correct however, because image heavy pages always clobber the PageSpeed a bit. By using smaller images in the blog layouts still achieves 100%.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the facility to use multiple Authors with unique names and images are used and are setup within the individual Blog Item.

1 Like

Great work Gary!

Ok that is perfect, thank you

I have added 2 extra pages that are simplified layouts that use plain colours instead of images. This is a good solution for those who don’t want the hassle of having to find an image for every post. The new pages can however use images to add inif required.

Also a few of the layouts have been simplified and a new PDF document has been added to provide help with adding your own content into these blog pages.

Customers can login to their Padddle account to get the new latest version.

4 Likes

Ok Thank you, I am looking forward to implementing this on the new website for my friend in Burkina Faso. The PDF file will come in handy :-) I actually start the work tomorrow for this project. It is a huge project involving podcasts, videos, indigenous musical instruments and bands, writers and other artists from there. Due to some political turmoil, the project has been on hold for some months, but things are clearing up and they feel comfortable doing it now. My friend is actually a musician and a clown too :-) Trained in the pedagogical methods of Carlo Mazzone-Clementi, Jacques Lecoq, and Moshe Feldenkrais.
So a Source-based site will be perfect for them, although the website will be hosted in Denmark, still, I hope by using Source, it will mean they can access it without too much bandwidth and money. You should all know how big companies like Vodafone, Airtel, MTN and others are exploiting Africa with exorbitant prices for broadband .

3 Likes

Love the new blog. Perfect timing as I’m using it on a new site I’ve been working on for a couple years now to replace the existing blog. It took me a little white to figure everything out but the PDF helped a lot!

3 Likes

If you have any other questions or need any additional assistance, just email or ask here.

Poster2 is a powerful system with all the options and settings you could want, which means there are a lot of settings in the stacks panel. However, the great majority can be ignored, and for most users you will just need a new image URL and a some new markdown text.

What may be of interest is the new Source Markdown stack facility to optionally read the markdown text from a remote text file or from a folder on your server. E.g. you could setup your posts (or products, services) in folders such as:
\post1
\post2
etc. or \product1, \product2, etc… `In each folder use the following files:

\post1
post.txt (markdown text for post1)
image.jpg
image.webp

Then in Poster2 edit the image url folder and also markdown directory to be something like www.domain/posts/post1.

Also, if you are the only author, then replace the author macros in the template to be one image and your name, which will then be used across the whole blog.

BLOG8 is the most basic of the blog layouts, so if anything doesn’t make sense, have a look at BLOG8 which you may find easier to understand.

3 Likes

To answer another question.

“Will the blog add the required SEO?”

The answer is yes.

Here is what a sample post link looks like:

Note that I have not enabled tidy links or added the Poster2 htaccess code to implement this fully. The reason being that I have multiple blogs installed om myltiple folders on my server which would make for a compllex htaccess.

However, on my main blog tidy links are enabled just for the /blog folder, as you can see below:

1 Like

I wanted to password protect the blog using Sitelok. Do you have any experience with this? When I copy the stacks into the Sitelok stack to check whether a user is logged in or not, it displays the page without any blogs. The Next page link can be pressed to show the existing blogs.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with SiteLok. @Jannis may know, however.

I suppose you could Sitelok protect the button that goes to the blog or to any page.

There was a user already using Sitelok in combination with Poster stack, but I guess he only protected the whole page instead of just the stack itself.

Thanks let try to show you what’s happening. The domain is https://www.cs2train.com and I created a temporary account. User: test Password: letmein

When you log in, you are presented with 4 blue links. Click the top one, Installer Portal. I have it linked to the following which is the only way I can show the blogs. CS-II Blog Portal. From the Blog page if you click the menu at the upper right corner with the 3 lines and choose “portal”, it will link directly to the RW page for the blog using the URL CS-II Blog Portal and you will see the blogs empty with only the template. Do you know what could be causing this? Without sitelok, I can view the blogs without having to specify the page in the URL.

If you try to access the above links after logging out, the page will correctly be invisible

Sure an incompatibility between the stacks. Please try to protect the whole page instead.

1 Like

Hi Jannis- I wouldn’t mind protecting the whole page either. Effectively that’s what I’m trying to do. Maybe I’m using Sitelok wrong.