"Platform" by J. Barth: Another freeform framework

Cool, I am very interested! Please keep us in the loop. If you hit a snag, please contact me via the support page on the Platform web site!

1 Like

Hi juergenbarth,

Am I correct in thinking that no JS is used in Bulma?

Full marks for adding in a manual setting for the collapse to mobile for the PowerBar nav menu.

4 Likes

Congrats on the launch!

I’d be curious to hear how you’d compare Platform to Foundation and Foundry.

2 Likes

80% off? Nuts, but I see where you’re going using it for marketing (certainly got people on here talking about it!).

Anyway, as I’m headlong into trying out various frameworks, and with 80% off it’s about the same as a good bottle of wine, so I’ve bought it!

I did some reading up on it before hand, and the frameworks it’s based off seems popular and is based on Flexbox, like UIkit which I’ve been playing with for the last few weeks.

Be a while before I can get a play with it as I’ve hit an unexpected busy spell this week, but will be happy to field any questions from a users POV if I can get the time to fire test projects together.

4 Likes

I bought it too! Hey ho for equivalent £13 not an awful lot to lose!! Might be fun!!

Hi, @juergenbarth,

I saw the info on 80% / 50% discount available and so I made a purchase through PayPal, but I did not see any way to apply the discount. That is disappointing, since I would NOT buy Platform for a full price. I’ve already had 3 different frameworks to work with. Is there a chance to get the discount now?

During the checkout there is an option to put a code into the Paddle checkout box.

I did not see that option. Maybe it’s available only while you pay with credit card?

bought it

I used Paypal. I’ve bought loads via Paddle, always the same checkout, the voucher code box is always there. Guess you just missed it.

I was looking at frameworks last week out of curiosity, to see what else was used in the wider world, so good to see another option available for RW.

Bought it too and hopefully have a play with it over the next few days

There are also half a dozen projects available for free download on the website…

for future reference

1 Like

@juergenbarth. Why do your projects not have any discernible menus? and in Lava which does …they don’t scroll to the appropriate section?? Confused

1 Like

Hi @juergenbarth
Just bought it out of curiosity and to support your future development. I am curious how it compares to Foundation and Foundry. Maybe I find some time to play with in the coming weeks.

I’ve just had about 30mins play. It’s very basic (I don’t mean that in a bad way) in terms of what we’ve come to expect from frameworks, but it’s bloody lovely to use. It’s just so simple, there is nothing to confuse you. A couple of the stacks are a bit odd, in that I can’t really work out there purpose, but this is after jumping in with no doc reading and my throwing stacks on the page.

It covers all the essentials, it supports warehoused images, has adjustable breakpoints, has all the global styling options you could need and I’d say, for 90% of users, has all the stacks you need.

Pretty much every stack does what you expect it to do when you add it to a page, the settings are just enough to keep things moving along quickly without much bulk to confuse you.

You are never going to create some of the amazing “demo” sites we’ve seen lately made some some of the more heavyweight frameworks and stacks collections, but I don’t think this is aimed at that type of user. It doesn’t have the polish of Foundry, or the range of stacks, but then it does do some of the things that Foundry can’t/won’t do, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

I started with Foundation, which was great but had a learning curve, and does feel a bit tired nowadays. Then I got Foundry which didn’t suit my style of working, so I only ended up ever using the theme and core stacks. I’ve recently bought UIkit which is a very very different beast to all the others: It has a huge learning curve to get the most out of it, and is a bit buggy at present in places, but once those are ironed out, it’ll be a great tool, albeit for the more serious weaver (IMO).

Platform though seems to slot in really well between fixed themes and the other frameworks: It’s really really simple to use, I’d say anyone coming from themes could get to grips with it in an hour or two. And so long as you don’t want to be anything too clever, it’s got pretty much everything you want in the box.

The question mark I’d put over it in the price. I’m not sure what they others cost nowadays, but I’m not sure how many will drop full price on it, $50 to me feels a better price, but at the end of the day I’ve not looked at other stuff in terms of price for ages ('cept UIkit) so I might be totally out of touch with that frameworks cost now.

Anyway, just some very initial comments. It might end u[ being a horrible buggy mess, but assuming it’s not, I’d say it’s a great option for someone wanting more control than themes allow but wants to keep things super simple.

At the 80% off price it’s a total bargain: I know for sure I’ll be using it for basic sites going forward.

Great work @juergenbarth I hope you continue to dev it.

8 Likes

Jesus, excuse typos, was rushing that post too much!

Previewing and editing is very fast compared to Foundry/Foundation. That’s whilst playing with it on my 7 year old MacBook Pro so no where near the latest and greatest Mac. I have to add that is with the demo projects so nothing too complicated at the moment. The menu stacks aren’t as adaptable as other frameworks but there are always ways around this. Most of us will have third party menu stacks hiding somewhere long forgotten in the stacks window.

3 Likes

Playing some more, an update to my comments above: It’s actually a lot more powerful than I first thought. As I read the docs for each stack and dig down into them you have the option to do a lot more with each stack than initially meets the eye.

The hero stack for instance can just take a image full width with a stacks drops zone centre. But, click a setting and you also get a stacks drop zone that sticks to the top and the bottom of the hero image/background. This is a really nice and simple option. then, it’s a simple click of a button to make hero full height of the browser.

The more I dig into the stacks, but more the $75 price tags seems more and more acceptable.

7 Likes