Poll: macOS Version -- what do you use?

I’m in the Vintage group, a MacBook Pro early 2011 running 10.13.6.

I’d treat mine as the outlier though, I’m not a professional web designer. Hopefully I’ll be able to upgrade to something newer soon and do have access to a machine that can run Catalina if needed.

If it needs to be Big Sur or Monterey to make it the best then go for it, it’ll be a good excuse to upgrade ;)

2 Likes

Monterey 12.3.1 on an M1.

Interesting. I’d say you should support Monterey or later ;)

I am running MacOS 11.6.5 with no issue.
I have VM’s that go back to version 10.15.7

And have two older PowerBooks Pro’s that are running 10.15 & 10.11.6

Latest 12.1.3 MacBook Pro M1

MacOS 12.3 on M1 Max

MacOS Monterey 12.3.1

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 on MBP Intel I9.

Big Sur 11.6.4

Monterey 12.3.1 on both Intel and M1 Max machines.

Catalina on Mac book Pro
Monterey on Mac mini

Always latest

1 Like

Monterey 12.2.1 - waiting till 12.3.x is really ok

Monterey is winning with an overwhelming number of votes, so no clever statistical analysis needed. Though @isaiah this option on the forum might be handy for future poll questions ;)

1 Like

Perhaps the question should be: Would you be willing to upgrade to the latest OS to run the first version of Stacks5, even if that means you have to buy a new Mac? In my case, the answer is YES!

3 Likes

10.15.7 here
but that’s really because of one app that I use that I can’t afford to upgrade just now.

macOS Monterey 12.3.1 Intel iMacPro (2017)

TL;DR:

I have to support the widest range of macOS versions possible without sacrificing any of the cool new features that the pros demand.

Self Selecting

As expected, this is an experts forum so experts are going to keep pretty current. Especially with the latest Mac hardware being so excellent — it’s kind of hard to resist.

Statistically speaking this group “self selects” for the bleeding edge.

Other Data

Occasionally over the years I’ve collected data in download stats with google analytics. It paints a much different picture.

Stacks pulls in many more novices running older software than experts running the latest. These people are predictably less eager to speak up in forums.

There are not many “pro” users by comparison. Even outnumbered, the pro-sumer group (you folks) are still the most important group for me.

Here’s the thing…

The pros buy the big frameworks, use Stacks for client work, and build impressive sites that attract new users.

But it’s the far more numerous folks that never make a peep that buys a lot of Stacks licenses and allows me to keep my prices lower than many pro tools.

In short: the pros drive the 3rd party market. The 3rd party market pulls in more novices. The novices buy Stacks paying for me to build the API which 3rd party devs use.

These groups pay each other’s bills. 🙃

Understanding this symbiotic relationship is key to building Stacks. I need to build features and workflows not just for the overwhelming majority group but also for a small but highly visible minority too.

So fear not, Stacks will continue to be easy to use AND ALSO contain a complex API for the guys building frameworks, content management, and new things that Stacks5.app will finally make possible.

12 Likes

Latest update of MacOS 12

One other relevent thing that perhaps should be considered, is that Stacks Apps main competitor runs on 10.14 and above. I.e. Blocs App 4.