Recommended single framework?

Which single framework is recommended for coping with most web design scenarios (within reason for RW sites)? ie Which framework(s) can handle building most sites without needing to involve third party stacks or other frameworks?

Iā€˜d say Foundry, Foundation and uiKit. And surely a lot can be done with source too, though youā€˜ll need to extend some functionality with 3rd party Stacks. It lacks a contact form eg.

2 Likes

I would chime in Platform. Very complete, 99% of all stacks you will need are inside the package. And a good documentation.

3 Likes

Few years ago, I have used Foundry. Then I switched to Foundation. Now I am using Source exclusively. In this trio, Source makes most sense to me.

Itā€™s super lightweight, you can build any type of layout with it, itā€™s tightly integrated with Poster, itā€™s free, and you can use with it a plethora of free/donationware stacks from Big White Duck (in addition to Sourceā€™s own stacks). The Source developer is very active and provides support that is second to none.

I canā€™t say anything about other frameworks, because I havenā€™t used them.

8 Likes

Elixir just released a brand new version of Foundry, itā€™s rewritten from the ground up removing all jQueryā€™s. It will do just about anything you need. Iā€™ve dabbled in Foundation, Source, and UIKit but I keep coming back to Foundry.

4 Likes

My 2 cents - and to respond to the OP (svsmalius) - I own and have used Foundation (v1 & 6) and UIkit but Source is the one framework that brings productivity and joy to me under Rapidweaver. I think Iā€™d move to Blocs (which Iā€™ve purchased and experimented with) or even Pinegrow if not for Source. Moreover, Stuart (Shaking the Habitual) provides the non plus ultra of support . We are lucky that Joe Workmen and Lucas do a great job in supporting their products, Foundation and UIkit, respectively.

6 Likes

The questions you ask donā€™t make sense in the RW stacks Framework world.

All Frameworks are single, because RW only allows the use of 1 theme, which is what effectively a Framework is in RW terms. So only 1 framework per page is possible.

and

Too general.

3rd party stacks are catnip to Weavers. They canā€™t stop adding 3rd party stacks.

I use Foundation 1 for my website and it was great at the time. I now need a bit of a refresh. Iā€™m looking over at Blocs and Oxygen, but Source is the only thing keeping me waiting for the arrival of Stacksapp. I think Iā€™m about done with Rapidweaver and am unlikely to upgrade.

3 Likes

And yet others understood and answered the question.

Notice, I said

With the proliferation of frameworks and stacks it is helpful to know if any frameworks can cover the majority of general Rapidweaver website requirements.

If I remember rightly you seemed to strongly support Source at one point?

1 Like

Hello,

I wanted to mention that Joe Workman has recently released a comprehensive starter stacks pack that is available for free. When used with the also-free Source framework, this should provide you with everything you need without spending any money.

I believe @svsmailus was referring to a single framework without the need to purchase additional stacks. Itā€™s important to keep in mind that not everyone speaks English as their first language, so letā€™s make an effort to communicate with kindness and respect.

Best regards,
Kent

6 Likes

Hi @svsmailus, Iam a private builder and turned to Source because it is so easy, well documented and supported and does far far more than I need. With time and the ever changing web, I learned to reduce and simplify cos its a headache to keep up. I began with F1, but switched to Source because its fun and easy to build fantastic stuff. Stuart and Webdeer are very creative with it. I donā€™t use a gallery, but use BWDā€™s Limelight as an alternative for the few pics I use.
As its free, give it a spin and see ā€¦ perhaps youā€™ll like it. If not, try the others

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about giving Platform a test drive. It looks really straight forward but also has some advanced stuff built-in as well.

The real question is what stacks should I get to build web sites in 2023, if you are a new user, a seasoned expert or just someone wanting to explore what Stacks can do.

The concept that a Framework is a best solution, is IMHO reduandant and for Weavers, usually means a one stop purchase from their favourite developer on the expectation that they will be able to build anything. That perception also includes a degree of comfort by buying from one developer, in the expectation that it will work, all the included stacks will work together, and become fully documented and keep pace with new developments. It is a flawed concept that is similar to a One Size Fits All hat or car that can drive on road, off-road and on water. You often end up with a compromise that you learn through experience, to regret.

In my experieneceof building at least 100+ sites in Foundation, Foundry 1 & 2, the included stacks aften fall short of being the stacks yo would want to use. The worst offender was the Clearing Gallery and I am sure even Joe would agree on that now. The reality is that you end up using other developers stacks to replace the crude or basic stacks from the Framework. I also created about 40 Foundation and Foundry 1 & 2 in both projcts and templates (all retired now) and they ended up being full of the very best free alternative stacks from BWD. Some of the Foundation projects used just the Topbar and Foundation Control stack and everyting else was BWD. Incidentally, those BWD stacks are still the very best available, eg Limelight, PopDrop, etc. are in a different league to whts included in the big Frameworks.

I should say that I also own F6 + Swatches, but have never used UIKIT or Platform.

The question would be better expressed if it was what stacks should I keep in my toolbox.

I would answer that by saying firstly, empty the toolbox and remove anything from you have not used recently or is over a few years old. Donā€™t add any stacks just because they are free such as Joeā€™s 42 free stacks bundle. Stacks works better and loads faster with less stacks loaded in my experience.

Then start with, get Source. Source which will allow you to build absolutely any layout, create the fastest web sites, has full multiple options to provide full support for CSS Grid + Flexbox, has the best colour and dark mode system (Palette) available, enables you to learn how to use it the quickest, because it has a low stacks count, has the best written documentation, even has a Learning Accademy, has an actual book, the best video help that is concise, short and clear, has developed constantly over the last 2.5 years into a solid bug free environment, has the most templates built by the developer, has tight integration with other Frameworks and stacks, has integration with other best in class stacks such as the best slider and best tabbed content, image serving stacks, etc., and unbelievely costs a third of what Foundry3 costs and a quarter of F6! There is even is free version to try out.

Add in Splider, Faq and Poster2 if you need such functions. You must get BWDā€™s Limelight and PopDop and that will enable you to build any image galler, expanded images views, any modals, menuse, full page menues, etcā€¦ BWD SectionsPro too, if you want Ken Burns and all effects, video backgrounds, scroll based animations. You will then have the best stacks Toolbox you can get. If you need a form just use a button set to a mailto email address or sign up to an email form provider so that you get a proper email service that will always work. Itā€™s 2023 and who needs forms these days.

The big Frameworks definately have their place for someone who whats a simple purchase to build a site and isnā€™t too bothered how it looks, i.e. has no interest in CSS Grid. While that is the bread and butter of what RW offered in the past, I struggle to see how new users would be attracted to the whole RW + Stacks + Foundry3 (for example) solution when that and more can be achieved with a one click purchase of an App such as Blocs5 for less outlay. For me, that is the bigger picture here that as time goes on, makes RW a less attractive solution.

With the best Toolkit, Stacks can be a powerful page builder. Whether RW will play any part of that in the future is unknown.

11 Likes

Hello

Your thoughtfulness in helping build a collection of web development stacks is much appreciated. Your broad-reaching views and clear writing style will be very helpful in guiding newcomers, and your assessment is useful for all levels of Weavers.

I wholly agree with your selection of Source and Blocs5 (I am still in the process of learning Blocs5) for website creation, as they are both accessible and can give the desired result. Your consideration of user needs and preferences is evident in this choice.

Your proposal of incorporating BWDā€™s Limelight and PopDrop into a toolkit is an excellent idea. I know that these stacks will be extremely beneficial to anyone who is new to frameworks rather than themes. With these stacks, web developers will be able to create a wide assortment of image galleries, modals, and more - thus giving tremendous value to any toolkit.

Your insightful examination of different frameworks and stacks is much appreciated. Your analysis provides valuable information and perspectives, and your additional comments and experiences are also very valuable. Your analysis is a valuable resource for newcomers and experienced Weavers alike, and we should appreciate your contributions to the RW community.

Best Regards
Kent

Thatā€™s the answer, really. Weā€™re incredibly fortunate to have multiple frameworks to choose from, from great developers who have crafted them for Stacks with skill, expertise and dedication, and support them brilliantly. Whatever one chooses ā€” Source, F6, UIKit, Foundry or Platform ā€” will do the job really well. And itā€™s quite possible to do without a framework, too, whether one uses something like 1LDā€™s Deluxe stacks, or an eclectic toolkit put together from the fantastic stacks offerings out there.

4 Likes

Uikit

1 Like

Simple answer from me: Source.

Source covers virtually everything I need and the (paid) Source Workbook documents it all beautifully.

The 2 essential extras are @Jannis Poster 2 for blogging or basic CMS. 1LDā€™s Super Forms 2.

I have only built and maintain 10 sites, but this setup covers 99% of what I need.

7 Likes

My favorite was ā€˜Blueball Freestacksā€™ which was my first and only framework for years from about 2010. I graduated to the responsive version when it came out. It is very intuitive and easy to use, and I loved the concept of starting with a completely blank page, rather than the rigidity of the other themes at the time. I still have a site built with that and the version I have still works with RW 8. Unfortunately it has not been updated for years as far as I know, but their website says it is still available for RW 7.
The only other framework I have is ā€˜sourceā€™ which is very versatile. I have several of Stuartā€™s stacks including ā€œCharterā€ which was extremely useful for a project I had.

1 Like

Blueball Freestacks was a clever set of stacks before Foundation appeared.

There is one of my favourite RW sites that happens to be built with Blueball many years ago. It looks fresh and like it was built today.

https://www.tinrocket.com/apps/this/

PS The This App is an App that everyone should own. Really useful.

9 Likes

Nice site ā€” and a nice product!