Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU

Signed, chances are nothing will happen but hope it will stop our scarily inept Prime Minister using “Will of the People ™” phrase to justify what ever her own personal agenda is. It’s almost as irritating as “Brexit means Brexit”.

There has already has been Julia Hartley-Brewer and Leave means Leave’s “Chief Digital Strategist” Steven Edginton on how they submitted fake names in to the petition, though they never actually said if these were successfully added. However the government seems a bit more prepared this time and has deleted at least 70,000 false signatories.

There also seems to be an estimate of over 1 million for the People’s Vote march in London today v the 60-70 people (who paid £50 to go on a protest march?) for Farage’s march from Sunderland .

1 Like

Every remainer I know would tell you yes; every leaver I know would say the opposite.

John Humphries and Andrew Neil are both pro BREXIT themselves, so it’s a valid position.

Cyber-security expert Kevin Beaumont said that while it was possible that bots were involved, it would be “a bit of a pain” to build a sophisticated enough programme to cope with the email addresses.

“They would have to make a bot that signs up with unique email addresses, then clicks the unique link to sign,” he said.

Really, I mean, that’s easy enough…

Hence ‘probably’?

I prefer this one: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235185 It’s worth pointing out that of the total votes cast in the 2017 general election 85.1% voted for parties which were avowedly committed to achieving Brexit. Indeed, the Conservatives and Labour, with a combined 82.4% of the vote, both promised us that we would leave the EU, leave the single market and leave the customs union. Now a great many MPs, elected on this understanding, have done their best to scupper Brexit. My main objection to the EU is the lack of democracy but it looks as though MPs have chosen to make the UK just as undemocratic.

The petition calling for Article 50 to be revoked - and which has so far attracted 5.8 million signatures - will be debated on 1 April. - According to the BBC

Ha! April fools’

2 Likes

Well, that’s it then. A50 is to be revoked. It’s official. The government has stated it plain and clear in a response to the petition.

As you can see from that screenshot they have categorically said they WILL NOT revoke A50, and as we all know, every single thing they say they WON’T do when it comes to Brexit, they end up doing.

So, looks like I won’t be needing that Irish passport after all!

2 Likes

Good luck 🍀

I would think the UK’s best chance for real democracy is to reclaim its sovereignty and step away from the EU. If I were in the UK I wouldn’t hesitate to Brexit.

As I understand it the hesitancy/sticking point thus far is a fear of renewed conflict with Northern Ireland?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone on either side seriously thinks that will happen nor has even said so.

So you think that the UK is not thus far a democracy?

How about Georgia leaving the US then - that would seem analagous.

Seriously though, I think everyone in the UK and the rest of Europe is just completely fed up of it all. Bring back Guy Fawkes.

3 Likes

Yes, and no. The sticking point is really down to a bunch of self-entitled c**ts who are too scared to actually make a decision and are putting their own careers and party over the country.

The problem with NI and BREXIT is that by the relationship of NI with Ireland (a member of the EU) was completely not thought about during the campaign, or in the early days of the negotiations. Put bluntly: There can be no border between NI and Ire as it will contravene the Good Friday Agreement, to which both the UK and Irish governments, and the EU signed up, indeed they were all the architects of it.

Which means that the one land border between the EU and the UK can not be closed, thus making a mockery of BREXIT.

There are only two options:

1. A border in the Irish sea between NI/Ire and GB, which the DUP: A bunch of retarded (quite literally retarded, I’ve met a lot of them) local MP’s (local to me, I live in NI) will never stand for.

2. A united Ireland (NI joins Ire) which again the DUP and a lot of the population here won’t vote for, although this is now a guaranteed eventuality thanks to BREXIT.

So, there are really only two options, and no one will vote for either, so we go round and round and round and round etc.

Will BREXIT ignite conflict in NI? It could. Not to the same levels as seen in the troubles, but it most certainly can and already is putting a flame under old divides.

90% of the NI population don’t give a flying fuck about all that old bullshit, but the fires of division are being constantly stoked by the political classes here, because it’s easier for them to exist in a divided community.

If BREXIT happened (it won’t) for sure these divisions would appear to rise up, but not via “the people” but via the politicians.

If a border were to be erected on the NI/Ire border for sure it’d last about 12hrs, and that’s being generous. And so eventually the UK army would be drafted in to “protect” the border. And if that were to happen, literally anything could happen here.

To end: NI is a hugely complicated place, but it’s also pretty awesome. Typically GB politicians try to simplify things here, because it suits their narrative, and also because most just don’t understand it. The secretary of state for NI recently said she knew nothing about the history and politics of NI before being appointed to represent it in parliament, so go figure!

There will never be a solution for NI, BREXIT doesn’t make it worse, per se, but it does nothing to improve things, it just makes things more complicated.

Worth mentioning that NI voted to remain, by around 10%, but the main party here, the DUP, are following a policy of leave.

EDIT: For clarity, I should mention that while I live here, and have done for 20 plus years, I’m not a native, I’m English.

2 Likes

At the end time will make the decision for the UK parliament.

Yes but apparently we can ignore all of that by voting to get rid of Mrs May which seems to have been all that some needed for a 180 degree reversal of their voting.

Well, it’s more complicated than that @Webdeersign. Many (some) will change their vote on her deal if she goes after it’s passed, as they hope they can install a hard-brexit supporter who will walk out of the preceding negotiations with the EU. Ergo, by voting for a deal to remain they get the hard brexit they so desperately want.

It’s why the speaker is doing his best to block the 3rd meaningful vote.

Well… Everyone asked for a 2nd people vote. The parliament voted against that.

More voted for it than voted for May’s deal, so if her deal in the benchmark, a peoples vote has more backing.

Remaining in the customs union though got the largest vote though, although it too still lost, but only by a few votes.

2nd round of voting on Monday where the real picture of the state of parliament will emerge.

1 Like

I’m glad My B replied to the ‘renewed conflict WITH Northern Ireland’ line, his c***t’s and f***k’s are so much more eloquent than I could ever express.

For the record I to am a Brit living in Northern Ireland and loving it, I’d never go back to England … far to many english living there :)