Rw4all exclusive free stack!

Just a quick stack I knocked-together yesterday evening:

It’s derived from this free plugin:

Slightly similar to the Codafy stack, but this one focuses purely on just outputting the class, ID and dimensions of the selected element.

If you are considering modifying a webpage with custom CSS or jQuery Javascript, an essential part of this process is knowing what the element is you are trying to target.

The Elemental stack may help you with that process. Most should find it quicker and easier; compared with using the web inspector.

Where is a good place to learn HTML, CSS or Javascript?

I get asked this quite a lot. And honestly, it’s great to see interest in this subject.

The truth is that this is an area of computer technology that often changes and evolution has increased even faster with the introduction of smartphones and newer web browsers.

Most hardcopy books from big publishing houses are out-of-date before they land on the shop shelves and not really worth buying.

I would also sway you away from doing ‘intensive’ online courses or bootcamps. The ones I have tried for higher-end computer programming have all been poor value, hideously outdated, full of errors and tutors have been rather clueless!

The human brain is wired-up to absorb small amounts of information. We’re creatures of habit. If the brain is doing a little bit of the same thing every day, then it starts to register that “this is something important”. Therefore you will be able to absorb new concepts easier and find learning altogether more rewarding.

With this in mind, I would suggest some of these websites as excellent places to get started with some daily coding practice:
https://www.w3schools.com/

https://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/

All of the above are FREE to access and let you learn entirely at your own pace. They are often updated.

Learning the basics of web development is hugely fulfilling and something to be proud of. Like riding a bike or learning to swim, it is not really something you forget.

You can use RapidWeaver to practice your coding skills. Most themes already construct the bulk of the page. However you can start a new project with a single HTML code page type. This provides a wonderful space to practice with your code and preview the results:

Once you become knowledgeable in HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP, you can then brand yourself as a ‘full stack’ developer.

Full stack developers are always in demand and this could be a lucrative career path to follow. Particularly with the flexibility and lifestyle that freelancing often brings. A lot of people in this industry (myself included) are self-taught, with no formal qualifications. Most clients are more interested in what you’ve built and what skill set you can empower their projects with.

Ask lots of questions - make a nuisance of yourself! Focusing on little real-world problems is a great method to understand things. Expect things to break often. All part of the learning process.

You can ask questions on this forum or hit-me on Twitter. I like solving little coding puzzles and answering any questions you might have. RapidWeaver, CSS, HTML, jQuery or anything else, please let me know. Always great to chat.

If you’ve not made any resolutions for 2019 yet, consider learning the basics of web development as one!

Get rid of the idea that using RapidWeaver means you “don’t have to learn code”. RapidWeaver is not going to be around forever more. Eventually you might want (or need) to move to another platform, and web developer skills are something transferable to take with you. Additionally some of the things you might want to do in RapidWeaver now involve code. And if you want to call yourself a web designer, knowing the basics of what you’re working with and talking to clients about is essential.

Wishing you much peace and prosperity for 2019. Happy New Year!

-Will.

25 Likes

This is very good advice. It also sums up how we all got started as developers on the old forum, and encapsulates the ethos of this forum. Helping others solve problems is a very rewarding way to learn.

6 Likes

This is brilliant Will. Thanks SO much for the stack and the explanation/info.

Might you consider doing a zoom webinar on getting started understanding “Id’s :selectors et al”?

~A:)

1 Like

@alixnotes I’ve not heard or or used Zoom before. I’ll have to explore it further when I have some more time.

I had considered putting together a video tutorial on the basics of creating new stacks for RapidWeaver. I thought this could be of help to anybody thinking of creating some stacks of their own for either profit or just pleasure.

I could consider something on the basics of CSS / HTML too. It would need some careful planning, to ensure it’s not either too basic and a total bore or too complicated to understand. There could-well be video tutorials on YouTube already that might cover this subject area better than I could explain it.

In the meantime, here is another good tutorial about CSS that was published only yesterday:

3 Likes

Hey, @willwood,

It is always great news for users when a developer makes tutorials.

Could I just suggest a written tutorial rather than a video tutorial? The latter is difficult to follow, since it changes constantly. Written tutorials can be studied for prolonged time and they allow concentration on chunks of information. And so they are less frustrating for a person who tries to learn. Videos are great for marketing, but not so much for learning.

Another suggestion: more and more people are starting to look critically at Google and their privacy misdeeds (they own YouTube, as you undoubtedly know). Perhaps, Vimeo would be a better choice for videos?

Zoom is the video conferencing tool that both Marten and Joe W use for their tutorials/hangouts. And I think JW used it for his conference.

Its really childs play and free if you don’t want your own room or to be on too long. But there are several people on here with accounts inc myself. Marten’s tutorials are very informal and JW’s are more of a hangout.

Thanks for the link to the CSS tutorial, I’ll check it out.

Having someone who is an expert explaining and with the ability to ask direct questions is the best way to learn- nudge nudge!! (big smile)

@fapkogi I COMPLETELY disagree. (But then people have different style and methods of learning!)
When I am faced with a text I just glaze over and I rarely get any useful information from it. And in fact I avoid them!

I always look up a video, even if outdated can (for me) help enormously.

1 Like

@alixnotes – of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Not all people learn in the same way.

When I say “written tutorial”, I think of a text with screenshots and/or other illustrations. These I would take any time, without even thinking twice about using video as a learning tool. Of course, sample projects are working best for me, but only for a specific issue rather than for a broader concept explanation.

@fapkogi
Each to their own. It would be boring if we were all the same!!