SOLIS: Worth a punt?

Off the top of my head I can’t remember. When I am back in front of my computer, I will have a look. Perhaps ask it on the Blocs forum. They are a friendly, helpful and tolerant bunch.

See edit, worked it out, I had to add content.

One thing I have just discovered is that once you add some content blocks and give the ID’s, once you select scroll to target in Interactions these ID appear in the option list. This is cool. But, @norm you should put a comment in here to the effect “add ID’s to Blocs to add them to this list” or summit like that. Some way to tell users that to scroll to a bloc you need to first give it an ID. As when I first looked at interactions this wasn’t mentioned, so I assumed it wasn’t possible.

I’ll have a think about how that is best handled in the app. It’s currently in the Blocs Docs under interactions.

I also have you ticket, I’ll follow that up soon :)

Read docs?

Yerrright! ;-)

We are presenting hashing out that ticket on your forum. For me the fix isn’t urgent, I’m just playing with a design, bu it’s fun trying to work a fix.

1 Like

In between walking dogs, dozing and watching The Irishman (3.5hrs!) I’ve built out my first website page. http://ci-clientservices.com/clientdev/designed/index.html

Got a bit stuck on a couple of seemingly obvious things, but nothing to get frustrated over. I’ve tried to get away from the “made by Blocs” look, not sure if I’ve got there, but for a starter I’m happy enough with it.

Generally I’d say, contrary to my feelings back in April, Blocs is actually really bloody good. It’s bit clunky in places, but also it’s got some really clever features. It’s more than possible to turn out some lovely sites with the native blocs and brics, and with a bit of imagination you can start to push to a wee bit.

Given the low price and how most of the common content areas come pre-built, you’d have to wonder why a lot of RW users who are building simple static theme powered sites don’t just switch to Blocs. I’d say for many it’s much more suitable.

2 Likes

I’m glad your experience with Blocs was better this time around.

3.4.3 will start it’s beta round in a few days so let me know which bits you found clunky and I’ll see if I can do some de-clunking.

🙄

Evening. Not of what the solution is, but I find the desktop area, as in, where the blocs and brics are clunky. Clicking on the element you want to edit I’m finding a bit hit and miss. It might just be a thing to get used too, or it might be something that will benefit from a rethink.

You can click on the element in the left hand sidebar, but that can get pretty unwieldy once there are a few content areas on the page. I found dragging and dropping elements between blocs in the left hand didn’t work for me, not sure if it should. I also don’t think cut and paste works on elements either?

One thing I really don’t understand is the switch from drag and drop to add blocs and brics to click to pickup, click to drop. I find this really unintuitive and made it really easy to accidentally drop multiply instances of an element you’ve picked up. To me, removing drag and drop is a backwards step.

Off the top of my head the only thing I couldn’t work out was changing the gutter size on grid (sorry for using RW terms!).

I’m really being picky here though Norm, nothing here is that big a deal for me, they just (for me) add up to make things clunky. Some of the best software sill feels a bit clunky to me, so it’s not like anyone should pay too much attention!

Drag & drop is a bit 1990s… You’ll get used to working quickly and efficiently though with a bit of practice 8-)

The biggest problem with switching from RW to Blocs is not technical, but simply accepting there is a different way of doing things. I made the transition during Blocs 2 and at that point there was definitely some room for improvement but I wanted to hit the ground running with Blocs 3. On the rare occasion that I open RW now to update an old site I generally find it frustrating and slow as hell. YMMV and all that.

Ok, only thing I’d add is drop mode is a bit avant garde. I personally never use it since Blocs 3 and always build layouts using the plus buttons on elements to add inner Brics.

Some tree elements are also locked which may be why you couldn’t drag them.

But this is all good feedback, thanks.

Where can Solis be found to demo or buy?

It’s a lovely additional to the RW workflow.

For all the Blocs users here, you can currently get Rapidweaver 8 for $36 today at https://deals.macappware.com/sales/the-award-winning-parallels-desktop-mac-bundle with 12 other Award winning Apps worth nearly $1200 added in the bundle.

1 Like