Source course: Lawyer project

Hejsan

I too, just finished the Lawyer project. Even though I have been using Source for some time now, I learned how to use the stacks as intended, which will save me time in the future, and it is really simple and straightforward. As I said I am already using Source as my main “Framework” now or is it more appropriate to say Rapidweaver Theme. And I will be doing so in the future. One of the main reasons for this is the speed with which you can work. And not only that, the speed the pages load once published to the server. I have made a website that loads in 0,5 seconds on Desktop computers and 0,6 seconds on mobile devices, according to “Lighthouse” that is. It loaded so fast that it really just appeared, like magic, so fast that I actually started looking for the “error” that caused this, just until I realized that it loaded with this speed :-) My Goodness…
I cannot wait to see what Stuart will shake out of his sleeves next time :-)
Kind Regards
Kent

2 Likes

Have you access to a newer Stacks 4?
I get this warning when I open your project.

““This file was written with newer version of Stacks.
File written with Stacks v4.0.2 (4780).
Installed version Stacks v4.0.2b5 (4779).”” ( this is my version )

But RW updates say I have the latest version 4779.

It looks like you are on the beta channel. You have the latest version of the beta and I used the latest version of the released version. The 2 versions are the same though. And I know Isaiah is looking to make it so that this warning message is less sensitive to small version changes. It’s ok to click on the open/later option that appears.

excellent , sorry to have bothered you again about source !!
Still now its here, others will know and may prevent the same question being asked :)

Cheers Stuart

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Kent. Another great review :)

The speed of some of the Source pages I have made surprises me sometimes. The Monochrome project ones are a good example (page1, page 2). These are fairly complex in many ways but they render so fast.

I really like Lighthouse - there’s a lot of good information that comes out of the tests.

Hi everyone,

I am following the lawyer course.
Following the first module, I tried to use warehoused photos, I put these images in “resources” then linked these images. And it did not work. It works the way you show though.
What did I do wrong?
Thank you all
Dominique

Hi @DomDemoulin

This very thing is discussed over here: Warehouse link questions

Hopefully that will answer things but if you have further questions about it just add on to that discussion.

Hope you are enjoying the course!

Thanks,
Stuart

UPDATE TO COURSE

Just a note to say that I have added 2 brand new videos into our Lawyer course (in the ‘Finishing touches’ section):

• Adding a Nav bar
  • Enabling Dark Mode

Both of these topics were requested by users of the course.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Keep it coming.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

I’ve left some comments on the official Realmac forum, but will add this here. First class - well done.

I think that learning this course has helped understand Foundation and BWD stacks a little better as well.

I’d recommend anyone considering getting a framework theme gets Source and the Add ons first, then gets a more expensive theme if they need one. At the price, it’s a no brainer.

2 Likes

Hi, In the above announcement you say the course is on special for £10. When I g goto buy it its $25. I don’t think the exchange rate is accurate. Can I still get it for £10. I am willing to pay $25 because the reviews are so good but would rather pay £10 if still available.

Hi @Barryg - sorry the £10 offer was just here for a few days so I could get some early feedback before launching for real.

I’ve just extended the launch offer though so that you can get 30% off the course (and the Source Addon stacks if you are interested in them). The code is: sth-academy-launch

Thanks for your interest in this. Let me know if you have any further questions.

3 Likes

Hi Stuart, I get a message the code has expired.

Just extended for another day now…

1 Like

You lot are a persuasive crowd…

Poor as a church mouse, but seeing all the comments, I signed up for the courses and stacks…

Great value Stuart, thank you!

I am looking forward to digging in tomorrow. Hopefully I may manage to work out how to use the smooth scroller and # to get my navigation working to perfection. Truly a great framework :)

1 Like

Thanks @Nick! I hope you enjoy the courses and stacks!

Linking to sections with smooth scrolling is straightforward (and is demonstrated in the courses). You need to create your own links / buttons to these sections. It’s not something you can do with the Source Nav bar (if that is what you were trying).

Anyway, any questions just ask…

1 Like

Thanks @habitualshaker - the courses start in a few minutes. I am very delighted with the stacks.
I was trying to workout how to use the Source Nav Bar with custom menus, feared I might be on the wrong track.

Upwards and onwards!

The Source Nav is a real gem. It can be setup to work in just a few steps yet can be hugely customised by using the CTA areas.

1 Like

Hello,
What is CTA ?
Certainly a stupid question, but English is not my mother tong, so it is not obvious for me :-)
Dominique

1 Like

I was wondering that also @DomDemoulin - in reality they seem to be customisable drop zones - I’m just about to get to grips with all the options

CTA usually stands for “Call To Action”. In this case it is an additional area that you can add stacks into, which are often buttons. You may be familiar with seeing these type of buttons for BUY or CONTACT in the right side of a navigation area, and they are usually in a contrasting colour. In this type of use, they are there to “provoke” a visitor to BUY or CONTACT. It is one of those awful Americanisms that is has become common in places like this.

The Source CTA are is where you would put something like these buttons.

Above is a Source Nav using the CTA area for all of the links which are a mix of local page smooth scroll links and external links, icons and a full mega menu burger icon.

The clever bit is that you can anything that makes sense such as 2 buttons, or Social Icons or a paragraph of links that could smooth scroll to other parts of the page. There is also a mobile version of teh CTA area allowing you to arrange the content on mobiles.

Check out the STH Examples area for examples of how you could use the CTA area.

3 Likes