Stacks, Isaiah, YourHead - AMA - Ask Me Anything

OH I almost missed this one! Sorry.

short answers

• social media: Yes.
  • sftp: Yes (but see below for some details).

Social media support is an easy one.
But I hope in future versions that I can improve quite a bit on what you’ve been using. It seems like easy stuff.

FTP/SFTP/FTPS

RW has supported these three transfer protocols. In the way-back days of RW3 and RW4 it was important. Most hosts only have basic support for FTP and the secure variants were rare. Which one would eventually win out was unknown.

But 10-15 years later it’s quite a different picture. SFTP is the winner. It’s far and away the fastest and uses the SSH system – so security folks love it.

Stacks will only support this standard. I want to actively and strongly discourage the other, much slower, and much less secure variants.

I always tell users, “If your host doesn’t support SFTP. It’s time to change hosts.” It really is that simple.

If you really really want to use those other protocols, then I’ll ask you to export to files and use a dedicated FTP app to do the dirty work.

I should also note that I’m piecing together some bits from other apps and projects I’ve worked on. My little FTP app (Deploy – never released) is/was swift based. Integrating Swift into an Objective-C codebase generally slows compiles by 5x to 10x. I’m trying to move quickly and that hit to productivity would really hurt. Building big apps in Swift still seems – not very swift. LOL.
I suppose I would adapt. But since plug-ins used to require Obj-C – I’m just going to stick with it for now. This requires a bit of rewrite of a few classes. I will save this work for after the first beta release.
So if the beta doesn’t have FTP – please know it’s coming. I’m just “swiftly converting to obj-c” 😝

Isaiah

11 Likes