TCMS License

Nope. I just selected your comment since it was the most recent to make the point that I wanted to. I did not think that you were aiming anything at me. And my comments were general comments for everyone.

1 Like

I believe you’ve always been fair when you can, but this policy is too open and subjective to rely on in a business setting.

Furry muff.

I don’t think there is anyone in the community that doesn’t massively value what you bring to the RW table.

3 Likes

My official policy is black and white. However, nothing in the world is black and white. There are always going to be exceptions. I am being real with you guys here. I am not some heartless company that doesn’t care about users and their situations. I have said many times that I try my best to bring a personal small business approach to Weaver’s Space.

3 Likes

That does not make any sense. Surely a policy that has the title Official Policy, is nothing but black and white?

“We allow you to move your Total CMS license to a new domain for up to 12 months of purchase. After this time, the license is permanently associated with that domain/project.”

Seems clear to me, but are you saying this is not the case?

Being open and transparent encourages good business.

1 Like

You read my mind!

1 Like

I’ve moved away from RapidWeaver some years ago, rebuilding nine or so sites in WordPress with Pagebuilder. Which in my opinion mimics stacks the best. I only have one main site running RW and TCMS and that site is today my most fun site.

Wordpress maintenance has turned out to be no fun at all and very time consuming. Furthermore, the webmasters at clients that are supposed to maintain the sites always make a mess of things or come begging to me to solve something or fix something they have messed up. Off course they expect me to do it for free. They even wonder why I charge for website mantainance

TCMS is probably not so versatile as Wordpress, but I have been able to build ‘my own’ CMS that is totally monkey proof. No one can mess up the website, everything my client has to do, they can do. They only see the tools and functions they are supposed to see. No more, no less.

For a long time I thought that me building sites with RW was cheating a bit, because it wasn’t Dreamweaver, or Wordpress or just manually coded. But I’ve learned RW to be a powerful tool, thanks also to the Stacks plugin, Foundation, TCMS, and various other smart and beautiful stacks by numerous developers. I can put so much smartness into my one site, that would take me a whole lot of effort and money and insecurity if I had to do the same things in Wordpress.

So instead of moving away from RW, I’m considering to move all the other sites back. In the interest of my clients, and just to regain the joy of building websites again. So I’m looking forward to all the stuff Joe is brewing.

And just one last advice for people who are reluctant to pay for more than one license or to pay for a license for each domain: I charge my client a monthly fee for maintenance of the website (for keeping it up and running) and a modest fee for the license. That way I can keep improving the CMS that I made with TMCS and make my own decision to upgrade or not.

Happy weaving!
Gaston Melis

10 Likes

Yes I am a returnee also. I went to WordPress for client sites but after 4-5 years I am over it, the maintenance, even with charging my clients a fee, isn’t worth the effort.

I’m loving Foundation and the BWD stacks. Also a lot of work as I am selling the return to html sites to my clients as a hassle free solution. They get hacked off when an update breaks a theme or Woocommerce or whatever

1 Like

The NGO that I work for somehow forgot that I wrote in my Résumé 'Web Design and appointed another designer to build their website.
THEN they remembered me and asked if I would take over the maintenance of the new Wordpress site.
I’d never used Wordpress before and after 12 months of supporting semi-literate internet-users on a Wordpress site, I promise you that I’ll NEVER offer to build one!

1 Like

Run
don’t walk! I had a similar situation. I flatly refused to maintain a WP site I had not built, citing the fact that I did not have access to the server. You must be able to get into a cpanel with WP because of the inevitable ‘white screen of death’ that happens when you update some plugins

Hi Neil,?

will you share some details on the (newly found) CMS and the experience of using it within RW?

That would be nice 😀.

Thanks.
Juerg from 🇹🇭

I’d be interested in this as well.

Thanks

To be honest, I no longer use RapidWeaver.

But if you’re interested in the CMS I tested, it’s called Perch. I did get it working in RW but it’s a bit of a faff.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate your honesty, really. Do you use WP instead?

1 Like