Use of Artificial Intelligence in Web Design

I think that will happen sooner than 10 years. When you set out to build a new web site, the best web builders with AI, won’t start with a blank page and options to choose a theme, stacks, consolidate CSS files, etc… I anticipate that a series of web builder prompted questions could get you started, and then using something like todays ChatGPT, could be used from within the web builder to populate the text contents and SEO text. Then by selecting just 1 colour, the whole colour scheme could be created and implemented for you and then be used to find Unsplash or other, free visually complimentary images based on a few more questions.

1 Like

Yes, I agree, It might happen a lot faster than anyone can imagine. I am wondering about the consequences of AI-assisted automation in all areas of working life. I personally would welcome more time to do other things with my life than work. But the question is how this will be dealt with politically. So many people’s incomes are going to be affected, and sooner than we think. So one could hope that for once the politicians will act in proper time to address this momentous change in the way AI is going to affect everybody.

1 Like

My sense of AI, based on what I’m seeing with ChatGPT, is that it will provide start-points, but this will need to be integrated with a platform that can carry out various overrides. From that point of view, it will provide most threat to the templated online web builders — Wix and Squarespace and their other counterparts, because they cater to people who are happy with ‘out of the box’ solutions.

For example, ChatGPT writes great letters. But they are never quite right, either in tone, or vocabulary, or length or content. Asking progressively honed questions can iterate them, but at some point they need reworking. AI may get better at doing things the way we like, but the more we get used to it, the more we will want to fine-tune its results. Still, it’s easier to respond to something than it is to create something new.

I can see a web building app that begins with an AI chat session, creating a response, and then allows the designer to go in and tinker with all the details. That would be a smart way for such an app to work.

Having said that, though, the great era of software development is grinding to a halt. I wouldn’t envy any entrepreneur trying to get investment to build such an app in this climate: it’s going to have big costs and long lead times, and the eventual markets and margins are not looking too great. People are less interested in building websites than they were ten, twenty or thirty years ago. It’s no longer new or exciting and it’s hard to make money out of web-publishing.

1 Like

Probably in that it will make your decisions for you and sanitise your opions to be inline with local state legislation. If you complain the robot in your house will taser you into compliance.

1 Like

Look at this app https://appifytext.ai
It’s still beta but yet powerful - both spooky and fascinating

Yes, that is certainly one concern. From there on to AI robot cops with permission to kill. The use in weapon systems. Mind control etc. These are all part of the negative use of AI. But they can certainly also be used to make this world a better place. Legislation that prohibits the use of AI for negative purposes is a very urgent issue, and some say it is already too late. But I will keep my optimism for this new technology as long as it is used benevolently.

Yes, that is incredible. I went to the link and I already made an app that can be used for internal communication, complete with a calendar, upload/download of pdf and text files, and separate log-in for every worker, in a company with 100 employees. It took about 65 seconds, and it is fully functional with the functions I instructed it to make. Really marvellous. I do not find it spooky at all. What is spooky is all those vested interests this world is plagued with. And the most spooky thing is that the people allow them to conspire against us.

ChatGPT writes very nice Javascript — it’s just a question of asking the right questions. And the beauty is that there are no hours of hunting to find a missing curly bracket or semi-colon: it’s meticulous. This is going to make stacks development very easy for those of us who are not developers (it’s just a shame that the Stacks API is so opaque and unfriendly to newbie users — it could do with a nice GUI app).

Yes, I agree with some of the things you write. But regarding the text AI can write, there is already a lot that can write very good texts, I have used AI for some years now for texts, so I have seen how they have progressed, and the latest one I bought, makes perfect texts, and they also test as human-made when checking them with an AI content checker. It can also make the text in any tone that you can think of. It is based on GPT-3.

In all honesty, our human track record seems to demonstrate that we invent something good and then use it for bad. Be it the discovery of the atom, pharmaceuticals or technology. Greedy/bad people will always turn it negative. This does concern me as technology becomes more and more part of life and is given more and more control and power. The growing spate of people losing their whole digital lives (and bank balances) through their iPhone gives cause for deep reflection on our trust of and reliance on technology.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. There are too many worrisome things going on. But I will still put my faith in all the good people and forces we also have in this world. What else can one do? But the economical and political systems must be changed before this can happen of course. Morality is the call of the day so to say.

Yes, it can write good text. And no doubt it will write better and better (it certainly writes better than most of the marketing messages I get). But here’s the thing about communication — it’s not about producing and receiving words, it’s about one human being engaging with another. For instance, supposing you want to send a message to a friend who has just lost their partner. You might not know where to start. So, you ask an AI app to write a message for you. And it might do a great job: put together something empathetic and warm and using the words you use. But are you going to send that? I doubt it. Because you weren’t involved in it. It doesn’t satisfy your need to engage with your friend.

And at the point at which we start using AI to do what we can’t, or won’t do for ourselves, it won’t mean anything. Like getting a letter from a celebrity which has been written by a minion. We see this already with Photoshop, and ‘deepfakes’, and movie SFX. For a brief period, it was amazing what the movie industry could do with computer generated imagery. Now it’s becoming as boring and corny as a 1950s ‘B’ movie with people being chased by a plastic dinosaur. We know it’s phoney. It doesn’t mean anything. But what still works is the actor’s craft.

Which is why I suspect AI will eventually find its place in a new generation of computer interfaces, carrying out commands, but as a starting point, rather than a finish point. The computer generated letter to the bereaved friend could be the inspiration to find something to say. But what matters to your friend, and you, is that you spent time trying to find the words, not what you say. And that applies to everything now — for me, any marketing communication that feels inauthentic is spam (and I don’t mean that it sounds inauthentic, just that I know the originator is too big and corporate to care about its relationship with individual customers). I’m not interested in any of that any more. I’ll still read what Joe and Stuart and Jon have to say, because they exist for me as real people, with businesses dependent on their customers, and not just some faceless entity. But when even small businesses start to get the computer to write this stuff, I won’t bother.

2 Likes

The thing with Ai, is it’s currently the worst it’s ever going to be.

And it’s pretty good right now.

1 Like

I need to point out that I tested the ChatGPT to build a landing page using only basic conversation, no prompts or any geek commands, and even told me how to put them together and delivered the HTML/CSS files. This AI on web builders is sooner than you think. Just saying. I just dare you to try it out yourselves.

There is no doubt that ChatGPT is very capable and quite incredible really, but as time goes on, the free features will be reduced and the cost will go up.

Already the “The new subscription plan, ChatGPT Plus, will be available for $20/month

I’m actually using ChatGPT right now, rather successfully (IMO) to assist with a revamp of an existing website for a client who, after being in business for many years, has found themselves going in a new direction. I’ve used ChatGPT to help identify keywords (including long-tail), an outline of what our prospective customers are actually looking for, summary paragraphs for different landing pages (with an eye on both SEO and language geared towards our audience), suggestions on wordings and phrases to sell our services, insights on developments in the field that will have a significant impact on our industry in the coming years (we need to be sure to have this highlighted on our revamped website), a whole list of prospective questions AND answers that C-level people (our intended audience) might be inclined to ask, great historical quotes from our industry (I might want to use one somewhere), and the list goes on. ChatGPT remembers where we left off, so when I log back in, in a day (or a week) later, I can pick right back up asking questions and probing for more information.

No…it can’t build the website for me - but it can help ensure I have done my homework. Some (many) of the suggestions have been things that I would not have thought about (and, I’ve looked at a lot of competitor websites as I get ready to build out the new, revamped website).

3 Likes

Yes, I am also using ChatGPT on a daily basis now. For various purposes, not only for web design. But I have been using AI for a couple of years now for texts. I am still using particularly one AI that I love. It is also using the GPT 3 API.
In a month or two ChatGPT 2.0 is coming, wondering how that will be improved. It is rumored that it will have better accuracy, be faster and can handle more complex and diverse language tasks.
The possibilities seem to be almost unlimited in the use of AI, but dangers are luring on the horizon… Humanity needs to agree to not misuse AI, either during the legislation or some other means. Isac Asimov’s 3 laws of Robotics was far ahead of its time. Remember those:

1. A robot may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Something along those lines needs to be implemented in the algorithms if our quite useless politicians will not do anything about it. They seem to be busy making war. We cannot expect much from that side.

Anyway, it is essential for all to join forces in order to get the most out of AI while minimizing its potential dangers. – from policymakers to developers and society. Politicians need to take a leading role in adopting policies concerning AI, despite the conflicting priorities and challenges that can hamper this endeavour. All stakeholders must join forces to leverage AI’s advantages while minimizing any potential risks.

1 Like

Well, they have already released the API to the world. Including their brand-new Whisper AI too. So, if the question was about AI incorporated with Website builders then the answer is ‘yes’ and it will be a reality like next year. It’s inevitable.

About us and the monthly fee, that’s true. But for business and integration it doesn’t matter. For example, I use Taskade for my business. It is the best team and work manager I’ve ever used. As soon ChatGPT released the API, the next day I received an email saying I had all the ChatGPT plus included inside Taskade! So it doesn’t matter if I can’t use the monthly fee/restricted ChatGPT in the Open AI website, the API is out there within other apps.

I was able to create a landing page with ChatGPT, That means that, let’s say Rapidweaver or Blocs incorporate ChatGPT using the API for example, it will let you drag the HTML stack and text inside “pop up window saying sales ends March 30th at 12:00am” and in front of your eyes you will see the code building itself. See example video: Albertkinng Screenshot - 12-23-2022.mp4 - Droplr

1 Like

That didn’t work out so well in the movie “I, Robot”.

2 Likes

😂 That is true. Wait I will ask everyone’s favourite “robot” how to expand those 3 laws.

Expanding the three laws of robotics to be foolproof would involve adding additional rules or clarifications to address potential loopholes and limitations. Here are some possible ways to expand the three laws:

First Law: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    Clarification: This law could be expanded to include not just physical harm, but also emotional or psychological harm. Additionally, the law could specify that robots must prioritize the safety and well-being of humans over their own existence, unless doing so would violate the second or third law.

Second Law: A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    Clarification: The second law could be expanded to specify that robots should only follow orders that are legal and ethical, and that they should have the ability to question or refuse orders that would violate the first law or other ethical principles.

Third Law: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
    Clarification: The third law could be expanded to include a requirement that robots must always act in the best interests of humanity, even if it means sacrificing themselves. Additionally, robots could be required to prioritize the preservation of human life and civilization over their own existence.

These additional rules could help to make the three laws more comprehensive and less prone to loopholes and unintended consequences. However, it is important to note that creating foolproof rules for artificial intelligence is a complex and ongoing challenge, and there is no guarantee that even the most comprehensive set of rules would be entirely effective in ensuring the safety and well-being of humans.

So it basically says there is no way to completely protect us against AI. Other clever people have said the same. Elon Musk even said that it is too late to do anything substantial against the misuse of AI.