Using Nucleo to manage SVG's

So being that I use SVG stacks that always have a size setting (Blueprint SVG mostly), and almost never would need to use an SVG outside of RW, can I safely click the remove size option in Nucleo?

EDIT: To answer this, for future reference, I’ve just tested and yes, when using BP SVG you need to remove the sizes from the SVG in Nucleo for the size options in the stack to work. So if using BP SVG, it’s a good option I’d say.

No. It depends on the SVG and what you are trying to do. I would ignore it until you see you have an issue such as adding an SVG as a hero BG and then seeing a small icon sized SVG instead of a hero sized SVG.

It would be handy if the Copy SVG settings in the Preferences, could be chosen while copying via the context menu because this function is very SVG or use specific. My SVG library is a mix of both types of SVGs.

I did at one point begin a conversation with a developer to create an SVG edit App that would do this kind of stuff on 1 SVG. The idea was to be able to also remove classes or add new classes based on colours set colours, replace width and height with ratio preserve, etc… It never came to much but I still think there would be a use for such an SVG editor. I think I will send a feature request into Nucleo.

It is really just an icon manager and so its feature set is geared up for that. But no harm in asking.

Yeah I know. Generally, this is where many apps fail to capitalise on providing a valuable work flow solution. Image optimisers are a great example of this because they usually just optimise an image. So you often have to open that image in an editor to resize before you optimise which involves an extra save and degrading of the image. So a better Optimiser is one that also resizes such as JPEGmini. Also image optimisers should be able to create multiple resized versions of an image in one go.

In the case of Nucleo, there is an opportunity to provide the full work flow from selecting an image in a browser to pasting the final lean SVG code into a Source stack. Otherwise you have to copy the code, paste into an editor, edit, remove the pre <svg> bit, remove the width & height, add preserve, remove classes, change colours, etc. and then save.

Retrobatch is an awesome app that is designed specifically handle images in all the ways referred to in this thread

I don’t think that Retrobatch can manipulate SVGs in the way I mentioned in my dream. Retrobatch looks a bit like a commercial version of XnConvert from my quick scan of what it offers.

@habitualshaker Nucleo looks fantastic. I notice that the price is $99 for an individual. I’m not quickly finding any text describing the difference between using the free vs $99 version. Do you know the difference?

The $99 includes their icons and the ability to modify them within the App for colours, corners and stuff.

The app is 100% free.

The $99 is for a huge bank of icons. The icons are good but the purchase is completely optional.

Got it. So what happens with their icons? After 30 days they disappear? Or you can’t export them? Or something else?

I’m not really that interested in paying for their icons as I have the pro version of Font Awesome 5 that I can import. But I am curious about how Nucleo handles their native icons if you don’t buy them.

The Pro FA5 are much nicer icons IMHO. Looks like you can use their icons but I would assume they become locked and unusable after a trial period.

Gary

Apologies - SVG’s are not supported in Retrobatch.

The countless other automated tools for manipulating non-svg images however still makes the app a worthwhile workflow powerhouse.

Hey don’t apologies. I use XnConvet for batch resolution, EXIT removal, resizing and optimisation in one go and it has worked well.

Does RetroBatch do the all important removal of the Apple information about where the file was downloaded from as can be seen in an images file info?

Gary

Meta data removal is indeed one such feature of Retrobatch.

Paul

I meant specifically the info about where the file was downloaded from which macOS adds in and deeply embeds in the file. I.e. extended attributes (xattrs) for macOS El Capitan and above.

I cant confirm or refute that particular query Gary as i simply dont have the answer to it.

can someone explain what differentiates nucleo from icon jar?

Having tried both, I can see not much difference, except Iconjar is $30 a year, Nucleo is free.

1 Like

icon jar is included in setapp - but I never touched it (in fact I didn’t knew it was there… will give it a try)