What Cookie/GDPR solutions are you using?

I’m looking around at options for improving the Cookie and GDPR requirements my mine and my clients clients.

I’m aware of Mini Cookie and Privacy Centre, but interested to find out what other solutions people are using.

I’m not restricted to stacks, happy to consider scripts too. If a script ideally one that is a one time purchase, as I need to roll it out over about 30 or so sites.

Which cookies 🍪 are you using beyond the technically required ones?

That’ a good question, and I should have been more clear in the initial post.

I’m looking for cookie and script control. (GA, Matomo, FB Pixel etc.)

Mäh. Forbidden.

Did you ever accepted my of these if you visited a website? 😉
Isn’t it possible to configure Matomo in a way that’s not affecting GDPR?

GA is banned in two territories. Yes, others will follow, but they haven’t, yet. Regardless, there are some that will still want GA installed (perhaps with said two territories blocked), so that means having a robust cookie/script system. Hence my question.

Matomo can be used in anon mode, but I feel it’s still best to seek specific permission.

As for FB Pixel, it’s not yet on the radar like GA, but it will be. So again, a robust simple to follow cookie/script control system, with clear and easy to understand procedures and no ambiguity for declining and accepting is needed.

Remember: You need to consider your own site, I have many many client sites to consider, who all want different things and all operate in different territories.

Did you ever accepted my of these if you visited a website?

That’s not the point. There are loads of things I’d never do that others will. i have to cover all bases.

You didn’t get my rhetorical question. Is it still worthwhile to use such analytic services, where end users must actively give consent to? Who would actually do so? Did you ever track how many are actually approving to be tracked?

1 Like

99% of users select the “Accept All” option.

To answer your question further though, I did do some tests. Matomo as auto-opt in. GA as default opt-out, and the usual Accept All button. Now, the cookie control method I was using at the time turns out to have a bit of an anomoly which can lead to certain cookies being installed unexpectedly, but the difference between the M and GA results were so small they could be ingored, and put down to things like Safari or other tracking blocker browser being used.

So to answer your question: Most accept GA scripts. Knowingly, or not. But I’m not about getting people to install scripts/cookies without realising. This is eaxctly why I’m now looking for a broader range of solutions. I want something that is clean, clear to use and not ambigious. Plus, I want to make things as easy as possible for the users who just want to click once and browse.

You see me shocked 😮

LOL.

Now I’m not sure if you are being sarcastic, or serious?

My experience is giving users a page of options, to install this or that, with a big green button bottom right that lets them just accept all and proceed, and almost all will click the big green button. The harsh (scary) fact is most don’t care about their data and privacy online. They just want to get rid of the annoying popup and move on. And that is where the issue lies. You have to find the balance between letting the users get to the content as easily as possible, whilst still giving them the option for greater control, should they want it.

I appreciate Germany does things a bit different to most, but in the UK and Ireland, most common now is a small banner that doesn’t impede the page content too much, with a short disclaimer, an accept all button and a link to a modal where users can pick and choose what happens.

My understanding is this is within the regs, even in Germany, and to my mind the cleanest way to go. So that’s what I’m looking for.

2 Likes

RM says:

“GDPR Compliant

Out of the box RapidWeaver and the built-in themes are 100% GDPR compliant.”

Ok, I’m sure they are, or maybe not, I don’t know. But that’s not really what I’m asking here.

I know. I just found that claim amusing.

Well, they most likely are. So it’s an accurate claim. But of course, we then add all manner of other stuff, which messa this up!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is exactly what you’re asking for, but one of my clients uses iubenda.com and is very happy with its features.

Thanks. It’s not really what Im after, but thanks.

Worth mentioning the site installs 12 cookies on load, with no consent given, one of which is a unique user identifier from Microsoft!

D’oh!

How about the Privacy Center from @kennerty (rwProDev) ??

It seems to have all the GDPR requirements.

4 Likes

Yes I am using that, it is really versatile.

@Ricardo @Kent I did look at that. I contacted the dev but didn’t hear back. At the time I think/I\m sure the site was still advertising black friday, so wonderd if it/he was still active.

The reason I contacted him is because I was going to make a multi-cookie management project available for free in the TR members area. I started initially with Mini Cookie but discovered an issue, whereby MC can installs cookies without the user realising, so deviced to have a look at Cookie Privacy. I contacted the dev to ask if I could get a demo copy to test. Then if it worked as I wanted to build the demo, I’d buy it. But as I say, never heard back. Is the dev still active?

@kennerty was very helpful to me with the setup of the PWA stack recently, so I’m sure he’s still active. Might be worth a PM, in case your emails are going astray…