Which FTP client?

As an ex-Yummy user, I now use Forklift, initially because it is included in my Setapp subscription as for any other reason, but I love it now.

another vote for Forklift… on my mac.

Exactly what fapkogi said - it would be ideal if they’d let us tag server items, too.

1 Like

Absolutely and the only one doing that at present is Yummy. This has been a standard feature for many years and I cannot understand why the others don’t have this, unless they don’t know how for some reason.

Sadly the developer of Yummy died last year and it looks like there will be no further development. I have the old 32-bit version 1.11.14 that runs perfectly on Mojave and will keep it for as long as possible. It looks like the Mac Pro will not be possible to upgrade beyond Mojave anyway, so It should still be viable for a couple years until the others can hopefully catch up.

I purchased Forklift as an alternative and it’s a good FTP client, but when dealing with large projects, including multiple folders that should not be touched I still find Yummy the safest choice, because of the labels. I have yet to delete a folder with a big red label screaming do not touch.

2 Likes

Perhaps we all should send a suggestion of this feature to Panic Software?

I’ve tried with Forklift to no avail.

If Transmit or Forklift had FTP colour labels I could move on from Yummy. One downside for Yummy is that the app preferences can be fiddly, until you really understand them and in that sense Forklift is far easier.

Forklift has a lot of general options though that I just don’t need, so in that sense I’d also suggest Transmit as an option, even though I haven’t used it for several years. Not sure about their new pricing though.

Done!

1 Like

I’ve done it, too. No answer, yet, though…

I had an answer from Panic. They say:

I’m afraid it’s unlikely. We support color labels on the local side, but for remote files it’s not so feasible as FTP/SFTP (and the like) don’t have any concept of color labels.

Obviously it is possible, because we know Yummy can do it. I suspect Yummy uses some kind hack that allows it to apply colour labels within the viewer, even if only visible to Yummy. No matter how it was done, it works well.

They just followed up:

Looks like Yummy does have remote color labels, but they’re storing the information independently. As this is something outside the scope of the protocol itself, It’s unlikely to happen. Sorry about that.

lol- I got the exact same answer - 1 minute before you did! Great minds think alike.

I don’t understand why they are so reluctant to enable this, when it is so obviously useful. Same story with Forklift.

Same reply here. Annoying…

I asked them for the reason not to have color labels on a server side. They did not answer that.

Forklift wouldn’t give me a real answer either. My guess is they don’t know how it is done.

I haven’t tried it and I’m bed ridden at the minute. What if you tag them and move them server side. Does the tag show?

Nope.

I purchased Transmit in the end. It’s far more than I need, as my FTP requirements are very basic, but it’s certainly a very polished product, so happy enough.

As for Yummy, I used it and was happy with it for years. It had it’s quirks, but nothing you couldn’t get used too.

I fell out of love with it somewhat when I felt like I got hoodwinked into downloading a paid for upgrade: You got offered the upgrade for free, with it seems the fact that you had to pay to keep the upgrade after 14 days in the small print. At the 14 day marked it stopped working and forced me to spend ages downgrading to the older version (I didn’t want/need the new version). This was bang in the middle of a busy workflow, so you can imagine it left a sour taste in the mouth.

Of late it’s started to get buggy: Thinking it’s connect when it’s not, refusing to refresh a listing, requiring a re-start to work, and so on. Then, the final straw was when the new iMac arrived, I installed it but it point blankly refused to see the “shared” bookmark folder on Dropbox, which would have meant adding about 30 server connections manually! So time to move on.

I knew the day was coming though after the terrible news of the passing of the dev, so in the scheme of things, not a biggie!

Transmits sync feature is a killer for me. It’s the only “advanced” feature I need, and it seems to work perfectly.

Agree, the sync feature is the highlight, I wish I’d bothered to learn about it sooner. So easy and cuts down drag and drop time by a wide margin.

One thing I learnt the hard way - never…never…tick the “delete orphaned files” during upload unless you want all your permanent files in the root to be deleted. I was foolish to believe it only applied to what I was uploading, not everything else.

1 Like

Oh shit, been there, done that … ONCE

1 Like

So far I’ve been OK with Yummy, but any usage is clearly on borrowed time. From what I can tell, there is zero support and it appears to have been abandoned, despite being on sale. That is a shame, because there was a lot of good work there and a fairly large user base.

I picked up Forklift in a Bundlehunt special for about $3. Perhaps I’ll give Transmit a go at some point, though I’m not holding my breath for any special deals. They didn’t even offer an upgrade discount for existing users I recall.