Building an RW site with an ECWID store embedded

Hi, it went really well, thanks. As this was the first time adding an Ecwid store to a site I was a little concerned that part of the project was going to go well, but I shouldn’t have worried.

Ading the base and store stack to the page and then adding the store ID was all it took, the store worked perfectly. I then used the other stacks to further customise things.

Super easy and a great result. Cheers.

I’m going to start moving other clients other to the platform now. I hve my own store system, but it’s dated now and starting to cost too much to maintain. So I’l just going to shift them to ECWID and use your stacks to add their store to their sites.

1 Like

I did not use the any ECWID plugin or stack, i just used the code from the ECWID page and build it into a Foundation template… take a look at the the StreamStore

How did you solve the problem that categories and products are not indexed by search engines this way?

I see this happen every time I try to implement Ecwid without using their official plugin. The site itself indexes just fine. But if you search for a specific product, or product category, it turns out that bit never gets indexed. So a potential customer will find you if they happen to Google on a term used on your site, but not if they google on a product name, brand or any terms or text that happens to be inside Ecwid’s database instead of on the site itself.

Ecwid suggests that you manually enter all the store URLs into GSC manually - so every generated URL for every product - but that’s not needed when you just use their own store front for some reason.

To get things indexed properly by google, enable SEO friendly URLs in your Ecwid store, which basically “creates” a unique URL to each product.

Also create a site map of your Ecwid store. If you search the Ecwid app market, there’s an app that can create a site map of your store. Once you have that, just merge it with your site’s map.

2 Likes

Hey @Ricardo,

Do you have any specific Ecwid app in mind? I can’t seem to find one that does this.

I’m currently in contact with Ecwid’s dev team. A few of my customers are complaining that their sites can be found through Google, but their products and category pages (i.e. everything behind a URL generated by Ecwid) aren’t indexed at all.

Ecwid states that this has to do with overflows not having been set to ‘visible’ in the CSS, which apparently stops Google’s crawler from seeing the contents:

By default, it turns out that the store front lies in a block that has overflow: hidden; specified. This property does exactly what it says: hides out-of-bounds content. Given that the block size is zero before rendering, the content does not fall into the viewport. And perhaps the search engine is able to ignore such content.

I would recommend getting rid of this class. We have noticed that the whole page is wrapped in the stacks_out_1 class.

Apparently, Google does not like “hidden” content. For example, here is a link to the Google thread on this topic: Does “overflow:hidden” affect SEO? - Google Search Central Community.

These are the classes of the Rapidweaver builder itself. They are not linked to the Ecwid or Ecwid code. Thus, this should be edited on Rapidweaver end.

I just now edited the CSS on one of my customer’s sites so that overflow: visible is true for anything that uses the stacks_out class. We’ll have to wait and see what Googlebot makes of it. Visually there’s no difference.

The site in question is https://www.ostara-edelstenen.nl. SEO-friendly URLs are on.

Cheers,
Erwin

Here is one:

Cheers,
Ricardo

Hi @Ricardo,

Thanks! Odd though, this app doesn’t show up when I search for “sitemap” in the Ecwid App Market, but I can install it from the link you provided.

I just installed it, removed the SEO Helper (Weaver’s Space) generated sitemap folder and the redirect for that in the .htaccess file, then downloaded the sitemap created by the app you linked to and uploaded that using FTP. Then I logged into the customer’s Google Search Console and added that sitemap (and removed the SEO Helper one).

I’ll give it a few days to see what it does.

Thanks so far!

Cheers,
Erwin

2 Likes

You’re welcome.
Also make sure that you fill all the appropriate SEO fields in the category and product pages.

1 Like

Thx @Ricardo for this info. I also looked into this index part of our online store. And found the same as @Erwin-Leerentveld. Now we try your solutions to see what happens next coming weeks. I will let know here if it helped.