CleanShot: anyone using it?

I use a Chrome extension for full site captures. It’s cleverly called “Full Page Screen Capture” and it’s free.

btw, I only use Chrome for that. And testing.

2 Likes

Everyone with a Mac that is 3 years old or newer already has a built-in screenshot program…

True, but not for a complete webpage capture which includes the part of the page you can not see and have to scroll to get there…

I’ll have to check this tomorrow when I’m at work but I’m 99% sure it allows this by pressing Press Shift-Command-4 (in Catalina). You can even capture the Touch Bar by pressing Shift-Command-6 which is really cool :)

Thanks, this would be great to know as I do not yet use Catalina…

Apple’s "CMD-shift-5 works for images of entire screen, selected parts and video recording of same.

Personally I have ditched Snagit et al as this is SO convenient.
(Im on Mojave)

I have tried lots of full site screen capture apps and none of them work perfectly. The 2 that I found to be the best, are Snappy and also the Snap web site feature in Pixa App. I my experience they seem to be hit and miss with sites that use a background colour or image, and will often omit backgrounds and show the underlying page colour instead. Sometimes, navigation bars go missing too. If anyone knows of a full length web site screen shot that works will all sites, I would love to know

When it doesn’t capture everything, have you tried using another product to test if it’s the product missing the elements or something with the website? If you post some of the URLs here I can test them in Catalina for you…

Yes. I have tried many apps. This BTW is nothing to do with not using Catalina.

This has been a standard OSX feature since forever and it captures the visible screen. Web site content that is not visible, i.e. off screen, is not captured using this old and trusted method.

Hi, it seems this combi does NOT capture the part of the website which is not visible. Just the visible part…

Paparazzi (free) https://derailer.org/paparazzi/ will capture a full web page including anything out of screen.

Saves as jpeg, PDF, PNG or Tiff

There are actually several ways to take a picture of websites on a Mac. I am old school and to me a “screenshot” is just that, a copy of the screen (not a webpage).

Having clarified that, the first way to capture a webpage;

• Go to https://web-capture.net.

• Enter the URL of the webpage.

• Click on Capture Webpage.

• You will be shown the full screenshot.

• Simply right click on the image and save it in your computer.

ShrinkTheWeb is another way to capture websites.

When you save as an image you will not be able to highlight and copy any of the text later on (because it’s a flat image). To be able to highlight and copy any of the text later on you’ll need to save the entire webpage as a PDF;

Click Command + P

Click on the PDF dropdown button (lower right of screen).

Choose Save as PDF.

Still another way to capture a full webpage on a Mac is to use the Extension Awesome Screenshot.

To do this open your Safari extensions page and type in Awesome Screenshot.

If you want to copy an entire website, or even a large number of website pages from a website at once, use a program like HTTrack or SiteSucker.

However I prefer to just save the entire website as a Bookmark on the Mac. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you - web capture seems a good choice 👍🏻

I think it’s mentioned above but the latest Firefox has screenshots/web captures built in. It’s two clicks to either copy/paste it or to save it (and you don’t need to leave the page you’re on)

1 Like

That’s amazing. Just tried it on sites that I could never manage to get a full site image, and Firefox works perfectly. Thanks.

I have been using Firefox’x s new inbuilt screen shot for the last few days and it has been faultless.

Here is a full page I captured with Firefox and no other full pages screenshot tool has worked as well as Firefox.

1 Like

Every browser including Safari can do it from the inspector quickly and easily.

Simply open the inspector, select what you want to capture - the <body> will give you the whole site but you could equally well just select a certain section etc

… and this is the result of doing it to this page:

1 Like

Thanks. That’s really good to know.

I did a few screenshots on sites that I recall were problematic to capture. Those sites are ones that use fixed BG images and I would often get an unusable full page screen shot that wouldn’t show the BG correctly and show a white page instead.

On one of these sites, using the Safari Dev tool Screenshot tool I noticed the same issue as other Apps. I.e. the BG images were missing. Interestingly the new Firefox tool does capture the BG images correctly. Also I found that if you use the Firefox dev tools, select body and the use Screenshot Node, that this method also doesn’t capture the fixed BG.

I just upgraded to the new Snagit 2020 for 12 bucks and it does capture entire webpages.

Here’s a video showing how to do it (two different ways):