Eliminating the dreaded edit page scroll stutter by hardware?

Since updating my work machines to Ventura, the tools that used to oversome the stuttering when scrolling the edit page no longer work: Boast by 1LD and the Toolbox with F3). So I’m niw back to a totally horrible experience when working in edit mode.

I’m not entirely sure of the mechanics behind the issue, and the fixes mentioned above, but I’m wondering if the issue can be iradicated at all by hardware? What I mean there is I’m about to get a new Mac Mini, so I’m wondering if the hardware in their the M2 or M2 Pro will help with this problem?

Thanks.

Try adding Gallery Stack 3 and enable the hardware acceleration option in the main stack settings. You don’t need to add any pictures etc…

At the end these tools, also mine, use different CSS styles which tell the browser (or preview WebKit engine) to enable GPU for helping to render the page. It’s a hardware thingy definitely.

I have noticed that SVGs can be tough on edit mode performance.

Just for your information, there is also the possibility to erase a lot of ‘mystery’ files in the ‘YHStacksPlugin’ folder. I don’t really understand why this problem hasn’t been fixed a long time ago, as it really slows down projects. Off course, something causes them to come back sometimes…

1 Like

Thanks for the comments above. @Jannis I will try this, but I’m assuming that it uses the same method to speed up things in edit mode that that other stacks used, which don’t work after Monterey. But I will give it a go.

That all said, I asked as I was about to get the new Mini I’ve been talking about, and wondered if going for the M2 Pro with it’s more powerful guts would help. But, as it was, I just checked Apple refurb and they had the standard M2 with 16GB of memory and 512SSD at a great price, so went for it.

EDIT: Ys, just tried G3. It does work, like the other solutions work. But, it messes up the pages; you lose all stacks titles etc.

It seems the ability to speed things up using whatever method things like Boast, Tools G3 uses stopped working after Monterey. I’m trying to find out if there is a new way, cus it’s a right pain in the arse.

@Kent Where is the YHStacksPlugin folder? Ignore, found it. Removing it doesn’t make edit scrolling any better. Guess it’s just a case of putting up with it until Elements or S.Pro appears.

No, I am using my own CSS style method therefore. At the end the GPU of your device kicks in. Maybe there is a defect?

Possibly.

Actually, I feel the need to mention this in regard to that problem. I had a project that was so slow it became nearly impossible to edit, due to the enormous lag and unresponsiveness of RW and Stack, or whichever of the two was causing the issue. After erasing the many ‘mystery files,’ Rapidweaver and Stacks became super fast. Unfortunately, they somehow get back into that folder, slowing everything down immensely. This all happened on a MacBook Pro M1 with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB drive. When the files returned for the third or fourth time, I copied the project into a new one, which helped. Although this process took a substantial amount of time, in the end, it saved me from a huge loss of time. Now, the project that I update almost weekly for a customer is very responsive and fast, even without any accelerators.

1 Like

@Kent Hmm … almost sounds like you experienced the dreaded “externals” issue with Stacks. Or as I think of it now: externals are eternal.

1 Like

Does anyone use externals? I never hear them mentioned in the discussions, and I’ve never felt the inclination to use one. If they a popular feature, I’ll shut up about them. But the way it looks to me, externals — and their wretched bloated image directory, that grows again like Japanese Knotweed — should have been deleted from Stacks by now.

3 Likes

@jamessouttar Yes, I’m with you a 100%. The viral nature of externals is really the issue. You don’t need to have used externals yourself to “catch” them if someone sends you a project file to look at. If a project file is already open, and then you open an infected external-file, it will jump over to your own project. Without you being any the wiser. It’s absolutely crazy.

Since a fair number of folks on this forum tend to help out others … there’s some real chance they got infected at some point.

Also, I don’t know whether @Kent got infected by externals. From his description it seems like it may be the case. But it’s simply a guess on my part and I could be wrong.

Hello OK if I erase all the externals will that then stop from happening again?

Just checked the external, and there is for example one called “Monet in his…” something I cant read and I think one of the fikes that keep appearing is a Monet Painting.

Aha, maybe not, I had only a few externals when I made a new project, when taking one of those externals, all of those dreaded externals came from nowhere, and I have not even saved the file. Sorry, I nearly typed WTF, but that would off course not be appropriate. Where did they come from? Out of nowhere?

Since I cannot reply to my own message, I am writing it here, so no matter what one does, they come back. I agree that this is absolutely incredible that this has not been fixed, and where in the world do they come from, those bloody files appear out of nowhere as soon as one save the project file. My goodness…

This problem is what slows down RW and stacks on my mac. When somehow one have been successful in avoiding them from coming back, RW and Stacks are super fast, so I do really not think upgrading to more powerful computers will help if this is the cause of RW and Stacks behave like on a 1984 computer.

@Kent They don’t come from nowhere. The most likely cause is someone shared a RW project with you. You opened it and it contained externals. If you had another project open at the same time then the externals “jumped ship” and got added to any other open RW projects.

Just deleting them won’t get rid of them. It’s a bit like surgery. I’ve just uploaded a 1.5 minute video I created a few months ago for someone who had been infected. I recorded in the early morning (when my wife was asleep) so there is no narration. If you watch carefully then hopefully this is enough.

2 big caveats: it’s probably safest moving forward to only have 1 project open at a time. And even more important: make a backup of your project file before you do this surgery. Things can go wrong so you definitely want a backup plan if things go amisss.

Here’s the Vimeo link (and you can download also):

4 Likes

Thanks Mathew!

Saved 32Mb from a 110Mb RWC project file. Now to do the others!

Didn’t need to go through the RW8 step though. I simply deleted all the contents of the SharedPluginData > YHStacksPlugin folder and then copied the SharedPluginData > Contents.plist into YHStacksPlugin.

No change of RW version. All worked - on a duplicate copy of course! Is that your experience?

Yes, that’s my experience also. I had to change to RW8 as I didn’t have RWC, but as you’ve stated it’s really the same steps.

I believe I had one project file that was 58 Mb and when “fixed” was then 4 Mb. That was a lot of junk I was carrying around and definitely impacted published times, especially when I was doing a auto-backup.

Glad it worked for you! But keep those old copies for awhile. I can’t vouch you won’t run into problems … all I can say I’ve never had any. I did delete my original bad versions after 3 or 4 months, but kept them around awhile just in case.

1 Like

It seems there are other things at play, it seems people are saving space, but I am saving space and gaining speed also.

1 Like