Email form

Hello, I have a new customer. He has set up his email to use Google Workspace, so the emails sent from his domain name are being picked up in his Gmail account associated with his custom domain. When I use some of the form builders I have for RW (I assume RW stands for Redwood Content Management System), they do not get sent, no matter what I do. They are probably being rejected. I have tried with an HTML form stack as well, but it also does not work. Does anyone have any idea how I can get forms to be sent from his website?

Hey @Kent,

A couple things to check:

1. A lot of hosting providers are shutting down email being sent from PHP ( PHP mail(), PHPMailer, etc.) without a) the sending email domain being hosted on the same hosting account or b) using SMTP authentication. If the form stack you are using doesn’t include an SMTP authentication setting, it could be that the hosting provider is blocking the outgoing mail. You can check with the hosting provider on that.

2. Make sure the domain has the correct SPF and DKIM records added for Google Workspace. A DMARC record would be good to add too. We were reading that starting Feb. 2024 Google introduced new requirements for bulk senders to try and reduce Spam, strong authentication being one of the things they were requiring.

Maybe one of those could help.

I’m not sure how to interpret this specific remark, since you joined this forum in 2018 and you’re probably familiar with the topic discussed here…

RW in this context stands for “RapidWeaver”, not “Redwood Content Management System”.

oh no, really… RapidWeaver… Ok, now I understand better. Thank you for enlightening me. Anyway, I don’t exactly recall when I started using the Redwood Content Management System, sorry RapidWeaver, but somewhere around 2010 or 2011 maybe, not sure though, could be earlier. 😁

You’re welcome!

@Kent a few things you probably checked, but just to make sure:
You’re using SMTP to send the emails via Google Workspace?
Have you tried switching from TLS to SSL as security layer? (It requires also using a different port: 465 (SSL) or 587 (TLS)). Do they use 2FA (probably: yes), if so you’ll need an application password, not the regular account password. And as mentioned above: make sure SPF, DKIM and DMARC are correct. I recall Google having made some changes and I believe they are all required. If you test, and both sending and receiving ends are on the same platform, then it’s harder to spot, but the emails might get send, but are rejected by the receiver and the mails are bounced. Test sites are multitude, one is: https://mxtoolbox.com/dmarc/dmarc-email-tools?referrer=cms_dmarchome
By the way, I don’t think the issue is related to the Ridgewalk Inc.Continent ‘s secretary Miss Management Sister. 😜

3 Likes

This info is 100% correct. The only way to make it work is with a user on the Workspace and the Google smtp with an App password.

I have battled form for years and the above setup works 100% of the time.

1 Like

Thank you for your help, I turned to a different solution, using a form service I have an LTD on but never used, that works ok and was easy to implement, I have a few other benefits from that also, like all the mails goes into a google sheet also.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a PHP issue at all .

It is a domain SPF issue regardless of language sending the form.

Yes, I think you are right, then there probably are some clashes because of the MX setup.

Didn’t say it was an issue with the PHP language.

A lot of hosting providers are shutting down email being sent from PHP ( PHP mail(), PHPMailer, etc.) without a) the sending email domain being hosted on the same hosting account or b) using SMTP authentication.

Everything after that “without” is what we were suggesting @Kent checked as to potential issues.