Foundry 3 | Thoughts?

While Stacks Pro is just an idea, it crushes RW. Once it becomes a reality, though — well, we’ll have to wait and see… 🙄

2 Likes

Armadillo works great with clients. Just saying.

Didn’t you know, this forum is one giant Souce fan club 🤣

1 Like

This forum isn’t a fan club by any means. There is no commercial pressure to say or not say what anyone thinks. Source is very popular here because it simply outperforms everything else out there.

4 Likes

@Webdeersign You so elegantly underlined @ajenks point. It’s one of the reasons this forum has become more and more irrelevant.

5 Likes

@ajenks and @mitchellm – If this is a Source fan-club, how would you characterize the Weeverspace site?

We talk a lot about Source for a reason. There is plenty of topics unrelated to Source, though. You can even find threads where other platforms like UiKit are praised. Joe Workman also have his share of praise in these pages. There is also plenty of references to products and services completely unrelated to Source.

Let’s be fair. Every forum has its main “theme”. It just happens that RW4All’s users are mostly interested in Stocks and Source.

It’s one of the reasons this forum has become more and more irrelevant.

That’s certainly a surprise for me… 😀

1 Like

This calls for a poll 😜

1 Like

Sorry, but I call BS!

There are over 500 members here, a handful are Source fanboys, they’re just the most regular/vocal members, so it can seem like everyone is a source fan.

I’ve nowt against Source, I use it, it’s great, but the fanboyism and constant references to it on totally unrelated threads does get tiresome at times.

5 Likes

@TemplateRepo – Everyone is entitled to express their own interests and opinions. If anyone here is interested in Foundry, Foundation, UiKit, Platform, BlueBall or anything else, they are free to request information, help or just casual discussion on those topics. Nobody stops them.

There is no need to start a war simply because some people are more vocal than others. Be vocal, too, if you think that you have something interesting or of value to others about your favored platform. As a matter of fact, you are quite vocal about UiKit, aren’t you? Did anybody object to that?

Some “unrelated threads” are about seeking guidance or recommendations. And just so happens, that for some tasks Source is a perfect choice. What good would it bring to people seeking advice, if this information would be withheld from them, just because you are tired of hearing about Source?

1 Like

First off, I’m not starting a war. I’m calling out your comment about this forms users being “mostly interested in source”.

Second, yes, I was vocal about UKIt. Did anyone mind? Dunno, but don’t think so. But I suspect that was because I didn’t bombard everyone with it.

And thirdly (and finally)…

If someone was looking for guidance, that wouldn’t be an unrelated thread would it.

1 Like

Can we just drop this unproductive back-and-forth? I’m sure there are more interesting things to discuss – especially in the thread dedicated to Foundry 3…

1 Like

Umm, Weaverspace is for Foundation users so I’m not sure how that would even compare, and why does it even matter, I was making a joke about RW4all being a fanboy club for Source. Then the usual people get butt hurt cause I dare say something about Source. Source is an awesome framework no doubt, but it’s not for everyone. Don’t worry, I won’t be posting anymore on this forum, it’s to toxic and I have better things to do with my time.

2 Likes

Yep, please get back on the original topic question:

2 Likes

I’ve been using it to create a business site for a new venture. So far I have found it to be quick and easy to use with enough extra layers if you want to tinker, or you can use the presets for ease and speed.

It’s a great value upgrade and is a complete package - without any additional (non Foundry 3) stacks you can create a site. That’s what I’m trying to do presently because all the foundry 3 ‘tools’ work well together and are well thought out.

As always with Adam you get easy to understand documentation and also some complete site examples with banner and call to action extras. These are free to use, play with and alter. Also extra videos in collaboration with rapidweaver classroom providing a tuition package that a novice could follow to create a new site from scratch.

Support forum is also great and questions are answered promptly and consciously.

I was going to update an older site from Foundation 1 to the newer version but will now use Foundry 3 because it seems to be more intuitive. Also came out on release with written documentation and hours of easy to understand videos tutorials.

The ‘Blacksmith’ stack is a nice way to change things across the site or to elements on a page using CSS classes. I will build the site and add this on later if I want to change some of the backgrounds, buttons etc.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree. Lots of helpful information. I think Adam listened to all the complaints about Foundation 6 from people who bought it and then developed Foundry 3 as a direct response, complete with complete documentation as well as direct, to-the-point, shorter actual tutorial videos as opposed to two hour, hard-to-follow movies from Joe Workman.

I hope Joe can duplicate Adam’s efficiency and succinctness. Foundation 6 might actually be the best framework of all, but who knows if most people just can’t figure out how to use it.

One of Joe’s videos included a lady who’d built dozens of sites with RapidWeaver for maybe 10 years, and her biggest complaint, ‘Foundation 6 takes away the fun of RapidWeaver.’

Foundry 3 is fun.

5 Likes

1LD’s ‘Deluxe Stacks’ showed that a framework isn’t necessary any more — half a dozen structure stacks with responsive functionality will do the same thing. Joe’s ‘Starter Pack’ illustrates this now too. But for my money Skyler’s ‘Fluid’ was the most interesting non-framework platform, with interaction built into its very core. For whatever reasons — perhaps most, because it was difficult for users to get their heads around — it didn’t catch on. But I can’t help feeling that a next-generation platform would do much the same.

2 Likes

How is Foundry 3 on Pagespeed Insights.

I had a play with it, and when you follow some advices you get from using PageSpeed insights, 98/99% on performance wasn’t an issue. No problem achieving 100% on the other 3 after the latest update of Foundry which added more accessibility options. As soon as you use a stack that loads jQuery though (like Obscure Email from @doobox e.g.), that drops a lot.

1 Like

I found the same as Pumpkin, the page speeds I’m getting are 99 on a couple of sites, that’s without evening really trying to be honest. I’m embedding quite a bit of animation with that. If I put a stack in that use jquery (of the ones I’ve tried) it tends to go down to 93-95, take them out and utilise the tools inherent to work something similar it goes back to 99. The other stats all score 100. I guess to get 100 on perfromance I would need to take the animation sections out, but then it loses the whole point of what I do. I’m very impressed with it if i’m to be honest. The CSS grid is good but pretty basic, I’m looking at the moment whether to add Flux in to the equation as that looks very interesting.

What CSS Grid?

Doesn’t Flux add jQuery for some reason?

Not that jQuery is the problem that Foundry users seem to think it is. It is one piece of the complex puzzle that coupled with lots of other stuff, can slow your site to the point where it will never be able to achieve 100% Speed. If the rest of the site is quick then adding jQuery may not stop you from getting 100%.

E.g. See Pumpkins 100x4 Blocs5 Bootstrap5 built site that loads jQuery. If the rest of the site is fast, jQuery doesn’t slow it enough to fall below the 100% speed threshold.

Similarly, Stuarts Source site (4x100 for mobile & desktop)](https://source.shakingthehabitual.com) is so fast it doesn’t even need all of PageSpeeds recommendation to be addressed. I.e. 15 images without dimensions, huge dom of 1200+, etc… When a site is this fast you can sit back and ignore all that recommendations.

1 Like