Foundry 3 | Thoughts?

You’re right on all counts. But in fairness also I’m not aiming to achieve 100, it would be nice, but not the top priority, if that was my main aim then I would have to sacrifice another important aspect of the sites I’m currently building, by omitting a key component I’ve strarted using, just want to ensure my sites aren’t utilising too many different instances of jquery and reserve the times I am loading it to key stacks/components suitable for the need. Go back about two years ago I was shoving loads of different stacks by different developers on a single page, looking back those sites were getting poor lighthouse scores looking now. As we know there are some really excellent stacks out there and now I want to use them when they really fill the need as opposed to just get them in for this and that. I’m finding Foundry 3 to be excellent, it is ticking all the boxes for my workflow and it is really fun to use and perfoming well. But as I said at the start you are right on all counts.

2 Likes

One ‘star’ third-party stack per page is a good formula, hitting a sweet-spot between load time and user-engagement. But, of course, not all stacks require Javascript. A stack can be a very efficient way of providing a styled structure into which content can be easily added, and in that respect needs only HTML and CSS templates. In any case, the whole JQuery episode gave ‘interactivity’ a bad rep, with its need to load big libraries, frequently just to power relatively simple functions (and because different versions of JQuery were incompatible). These days even quite complex functions can be written in vanilla JS, without the need for libraries, and these are processed more efficiently by browsers.

Everything can be written in vanilla JS. jQuery is also written in vanilla JS…

1 Like

That’s true, but extensions to Javascript (particularly in navigating the DOM and targeting nodes), and compatibility in the way browsers handle JS, means that JQuery’s raison d’être has greatly diminished. Plus, the proliferation of different JQuery versions means that its burden is often heavier than it could be, especially in an environment like Stacks, where third-party components come with their own JQuery dependencies.

What’s the advantage of upgrading to Foundry v3? I built all my previous sites in Foundry v1 & v 2? (Also with Alloy).

Perhaps helpful:

Thank you kind sir.

I was also wondering how users of version 2 who upgraded found it?

If you follow the above link it will take you to the support forum. I’m sure if you ask the question where all the people who use F3 hangout you will get numerous honest answers. Sometimes its just best to go to the source. :-)

1 Like