Gsheet for RapidWeaver [Review]

You might guess that Gsheet stands for Google’s Sheets, the spreadsheet app from their online suite of apps. I’ve used Google’s Sheets to publish inventory lists and a members list in RW, none of which was especially attractive. Sheets does have the advantage that anyone with access to them can edit the data, which is then automatically updated on any website that it’s displayed on – an extremely simplistic CMS solution.

Now, with the help of Weavium, Google Sheets has outgrown its pram (baby carriage for those across the pond) and jumped into running shoes.

Read more at: https://rw-ninja.news/Gsheets

3 Likes

Hi Rob
Thanks for the review…really peaked my interest in it…if you have used the stack, can you tell me if each card that is generated can then be put into another stack (like Filter?), I have 109 soldiers and their details but then they need to be searchable by category and tags etc!!..not sure it would work, but maybe you might have a guess??

@Piggles Hi Wendy, glad you found the review interesting. Gsheet really is an interesting suite of stacks. Skyler introduced the stacks on “that other” forum and promptly received a query about integrating CSV files, Skyler was unsure, so whilst I did do a quick test of Gsheet, I spent more time (unsuccessfully) trying to import a CSV file.
The best thing to do is to direct your question at Skyler, I’m quite sure that he’ll know the answer instantly.

Rob - Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had not heard of Gsheets or this fascinating stack from Weavium.

The Bootstrap Card layout is perfect for quite a few things I have tried to create in the past and it ended up being a great deal of work.

Am I correct in thinking that the number of items or spreadsheet line items can vary and the stack will deal with that. If so then this is a game changer.

Using the inStacks Repository and Gallery, you could setup multiple pages in RW, say 20 pages that would each link to a Product details and gallery page which could show all images loaded to a productx folder where x is 1 to 20. The highest number would be the largest number of products required and could of course be bigger than 20.

Then, an initial product list page using Gsheet could link to any of the product pages for full details and gallery and each product page could also use another page specific Gsheet for more details. This would allow an end user to build multi page products, houses, cars, etc and have full control to add, edit and delete products.

I have it working fine on a self hosted csv

1 Like

Yeah looks great – I requested an SQL version too.

Hi Gary,
Yes indeed, the database content can vary and you can add as many “child” stacks to Gsheet as you wish.
I personally consider this set of stacks to be a game changer…

1 Like

Thanks. Yes it certainly does.

I have been trying varying things such as adding a further 4 properties in the real estate demo using the mobile Google Sheets app. It was fairly easy to figure out how to use the mobile app, and now any edits on the mobile, are instantly available on the refreshed demo page. From an end users point of view, if they can edit a table of information, which they could make their main working document, then they can run a complex CMS site with a beautiful layout that looks just about as good as it gets.

3 Likes

Great idea from Skyler, instant purchase 😀

There’s another forum? :) Not for me…