Iconic Gallery, criteria for captions

I have installed the Iconic Gallery to (hopefully) get rid of my Poster 2 issue (topic elsewhere in this forum). The friendly people advised me to move my photos out of the RWC project file.
Using the Iconic Gallery stack within the Poster2 stack is setup now and I will replace (or rewrite) the blog entries back in time.

There is one thing I wonder about: an image sometimes didn’t show a caption even if I followed the rule YY-MM-Nr_caption-text.jpg It’s just showing an empty bar. I assume that Iconic Gallery did find some IPTC data (but no text in the description field) and discards the text-part of the filename?

If so, what is a good app for editing EXIF and IPTC data of a photo?
I just downloaded CaptionWriter and added some text in the caption field. Seems to give me more freedom for a description. But are there any rules or limitations for writing text?
I am asking because there are now situations if I upload a modified photo to the “gallery-folder” Iconic Gallery won’t display any photo at all ??

Any help is welcome.

Hallo Uli,

Iconic Gallery liest nur die Description aus den IPTC Daten aus. Das geht bspw. mit Apple Photos App.

Da brauche ich schon mehr Informationen.

Iconic Gallery ließt nur das Description Feld aus. Wenn da ein leerer Text drin steht (anders als dass das Feld nicht existiert) kann es sein, dass “leer” ausgegeben wird.

Grüße
Jannis

Although Jannis already gave an example of Apple Photos, if you want to edit metadata for any kind of photos (RAW, PSD, JPG, GIF, PNG, etc), outside of Apple Photos, there is no better app than Graphic Converter (worth every penny) by Thorsten Lemke. It is rightfully described as the “Swiss Army knife” of photo-editing software. I highly recommend it. Herr Lemke is very active and responsive and even adds features to his app, if you ask him nicely. 😚

2 Likes

thanxs @fapkogi for your info.
Crazy, I have GC on my mac but I didn’t know about this feature. Nowaday I usually just add preview icon to my graphic files. And finding the menu item to edit IPTC takes time but your right, it’s there ;-)

Dann liest Iconic Gallery zuerst das File und sucht nach der IPTC Description und wenn diese leer ist, dann versucht er einen Caption Text aus dem Filenamen zu bilden? In einigen Fotos, die ich editiert habe ist im Description Feld ein Tab (oder mehrere Spaces) platziert gewesen.
Das würde den leeren Balken erklären.

Also @Jannis ich kann dir gerne ein solches Foto senden (oder anhängen). Sobald ich es in den Ordner kopiere wird anschliessend kein einziges Foto mehr angezeigt.
Dateien kann ich hier nicht anhängen, ich kann dir aber eines per eMail senden (meine eMail ist mail-ät-uhebeisen.net
Die ganze Seite läuft aktuell in einer Subdomain exp.mc-wyland.ch und im Juli Eintrag sind etwa vier Fotos ‘defekt’ gewesen. Keine Ahnung was daran nicht stimmt. Ich habe sie dann mit MetaSync geöffnet, die Description neu geschrieben und wieder gespeichert (+50kB) und diese funktionieren jetzt.

Exactly. Iconic Gallery first tried to read the IPTC description, afterwards the file name.

If you have photos which won’t display at all, please send them to me. Please make sure file names have no special characters not allowed by the web server.

Just sent you two files by email, along with some information about my steps I’ve done.
Hope this easy to fix (for me).

1 Like