IIIF - International Image Interoperability Framework

Could anyone explain to me what IIIF is?
In non geek english please!!

https://iiif.io

Does no one know?

Here’s the link to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Image_Interoperability_Framework

I suppose, most of this info is same or similar to what you can find on the IIIF website, though.

Thanks for the response. I cant really see how this is better than normal images etc.

And all the references in the Wiki article are at least 3 years old.

Im asking becaue I have a historical archive for a town to put together on the web and this format is what has been recommended.

Over my head really.

In case of an official archive of photos, this format might make sense (keeping the future in mind). For regular use on the web—I don’t see why this format should replace JPEG. On the other hand, the new WebP, which so far did not gain much traction, offers significant benefits over both JPEG and PNG.

Will Woodgate has a new, and I think free, stack for WebP images with the option to add a fall back to jpeg.

That’s correct. Will’s stack is free and it is ahead of its time.

But is WebP different to IIIF?

WebP is an image format for raster images, with lossy or lossless compression. It promises similar image quality and smaller file sizes than JPEG. It is being developed by Google.

International Image Interoperability Framework on the other hand, provides a standardized system of describing and delivering images on the web, with wider and more web-specific range of metadata.

In my personal view, both WebP and IIIF are in their infancy and it may take years before they will become well-established (if ever).

1 Like

Easy way to understand it.

Imagine every image on the planet is held in one place, all these images have different names and different file extensions, the iiif is a common method (or API) to access these images, no matter what the name or format.

Nice ish explanation here

Webp is another format like JPEG, PNG.

Iiif could access any of the above.

2 Likes