No Stacks in RW9! Stacks5.App is coming!

Given the argy-bargy that has been going on much to everyone’s detriment, I consider this announcement a win for users that still want or need RW (Classic) for existing projects, knowing it will still get updates and support on an ongoing basis, or so it appears for now.

Plus there’s now a choice to use the new stacks app or the new RW (TBA) version when they ship.
Customers can choose which new app performs best or is best for their needs.

The new psuedo-subscription model for RW Classic is a shame for users, but companies have to be profitable to keep offering the product. Hopefully the pricing is not too steep to be a barrier.

2 Likes

Question: Does RW8 work well with Ventura, (or do you have to buy classic for full compatibility)?

I can’t see any scenario where this is better for users. Upgrade to RW Classic and in a few years it’ll be discontinued; the clue is in the term “Classic”. If you move to RW Elements it’ll have a store for buying elements to build your website where you can repurchase all your features you had with Stacks. Or you could hold out for the new Stacks app that may it may not work with your current themes and break some stacks that currently work but devs need to update and will likely have a whole load of issues importing RW files.

In desperation some will end up buying all three apps.

I’m sorry this divorce between Realmac and Yourhead will only leave all the users paying the alimony.

Save yourself the coming headache! I think now is a good time to use a completely different app/platform and there are quite a few about. RW8 will still work for some time to come giving enough time to move elsewhere.

I think Blocs is the new alternative for people like us. Time to invest $300 on a new platform. I wish I can keep using RW8 with F6 for a couple of years until the big collapse.

1 Like

Yes, I bought it a few years ago, but will now slowly migrate my sites. If you don’t upgrade to Ventura, then RW8 should work at least for a couple of years.

1 Like

@svsmailus What makes you think that RW8 doesn’t run on Ventura?

As of the current Ventura beta, RW8 runs fine.

2 Likes

After a good night’s sleep, there’s something else that popped to mind: RW Classic seems to be an attempt to piggyback on Stacks. If stacks will continue to work with the current Stacks plugin, why would one move to a new Stacks app while there’s RW Classic with all new (promised) bells and whistles? FOMO! Yes, it’s the ‘fear of missing out’. This time not a social phenomenon but a rather sad play of marketing manipulation. Combine this with the “it’s not a subscription”-subscription model and RMS can, once again, lean back and profit.

Whatever decision you make, also be aware of the ‘sunk cost fallacy’, don’t throw good money after bad because you’re too invested (either with time or money). You know exactly when it’s time to cut your losses (trust your gut).

1 Like

What are the improvements ?

There is very little information about this.

That’s great, my bad. I assumed with the release of Classic that RW8 wouldn’t make Ventura. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Very selective quoting!

I said…

for me there are enough improvements to warrant a spend.

For you, there may not be, for me, there is. Given it’s only about £40! The new stuff is in the video that’s floating about on the various (WTF?) RM/RW forums.

I also totally support the new pricing model, of eeking a few quid each year out of users. Opposed to a big hit every four years. Which can not be a healthy cashflow for any business.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m 100% behind Isaiah and the new Stacks App, I’m really excited to use it, I think it’ll be the tool many (of us) have wanted for a long time now. But i’m not about to throw the baby out with the bath water. For me, personally, RW still has a place in my arsenal of web tools. And I;m refusing to get caught up, at least publically, in the politics of it all. My focus at the end of the day is on me, my clients and my business. Of which RW still has a core role.

2 Likes

From looking at that video, I am unaware of what these new features are beyond:

1. New icon.
  2. New Page search that might be useful on small screens.
  3. An image display restriction that stops images being dropped into Text type pages, from being displayed as huge images.
  4. The html/php default page type setting “feature”, which is just a bug fix that took 4 years to address in rw8, and presumably won’t get fixed in rw8.

The RM Classic FAQ states:
“RapidWeaver Classic comes with a host of new features and fixes, and the assurance that it will be updated to run on the next big release of macOS later this year.”

I’m just trying to understand what the “host of new features” are.

1 Like

Maybe ask Dan? As I said, repeatedly now, for me, there is enough new stuff to warrant the spend, so I’m happy enough to throw them £40.

1 Like

You pay subscription for services not for the privilege to use a tool. I like the way they ask for your money for the services of updates and fixes.

last comment on the matter as it’s just getting silly. But this…

Is complete nonsense. You can rent a house. You can rent a car. You can rent a bike. You can rent just about anything. Rental and subscription are essentially the same thing. The suggestion that rental, or subscriptions are just for services is just plain wrong.

1 Like

How hard is it? Tell me about the learning curve. Is it good?

Because paying monthly for a hammer makes a lot of sense. Let’s have this conversation in other thread and I will let you see how wrong you are with facts. This is not the thread for that.

It uses bootstrap, but has a ui for all the components. Lots of drag and drop, but also access to the code which I like. More functionality can be purchased similar to RW stacks they have Blocs Bricks. An iPad version is also in beta.

1 Like

bro… This is an old comment. I don’t even think like that anymore. Check the dates before replying so, your comment doesn’t pop up on other members emails to turn down irrelevant to actual events. The status of today is Realmac is introducing Rapidweaver Classic and Rapidweaver Elements and Stacks 5 will be the option for actual stacks users. Everything is fine now. No drama. have a great day.

Sounds great

Well, I think that @TemplateRepo has a point. For example, I rent knives for my butchers. It’s like a subscription. When I don’t want to use them anymore, I stop paying. Same with anything. But hey, we are free to see things in different ways or call them different also. At the end, you pay and get something. If you pay it all at once or monthly or yearly it’s always paying for something, service or a material thing, knowledge or idea, is not different. It’s an exchange. ✌️