Paging the Apple Numbers experts (I think there are some here!)

I’m putting this here as I’m sure there are a few Numbers experts here. I would message them direct, but I can’t recall who they are!

I have a list of 20k email addresses (it’s a mailing list). I want to highlight and remove all the email addresses ending with @gmail.com.

Anyone know how to do this?

I used to be able to do it using Excel, but I can no longer remember how, nor do I use Excel anymore.

Thanks.

Let’s assume you have your emails entered in column B, then you can enter a formula in column C, which only selectively shows those emails that do not contain “@gmail.com”. Afterwards you can sort the table by column C (descending order), which lists all non-gmail rows at the top. This allows you to select the bottom rows and delete them in one step.

The formula in the cells of column C is:

When you fill in the formula for one cell, you have to copy the content down into all rows of your large table. The easiest way is to select all the relevant cells of column C, and then click on “Autofill Down” in the menu ‘Table > Autofill Cells > Autofill Down’ - this will copy the formula into all rows. (Or you drag the cell with the formula - yellow handle - downwards across all your rows)

Here are some screenshots:

The you can sort the entire table by the column C by selecting ‘C’ and ‘Sort Descending’

It should result in a sorted table:

You can then select all the ‘bottom’ rows and delete them if necessary

The process still requires some manual steps, especially selecting many of your 20K rows, but that should be easy with scrolling and shift-clicking. Of course, you need to adjust the formula to the proper columns used in your table.

Hope this helps, cheers

1 Like

Great. Many thanks for that.

Why not just use a Filter. Then Select all of the rows and delete?

6 Likes

There is always an easier way ;)

1 Like