RapidWeaver and macOS 14 Sonoma?

I’m getting multiple notifications from some of my most-used macOS utilities that my current versions will not work in macOS 14 Sonoma. So far these include Default Folder X and Bartender.

Will RW 8.9.3 work in macOS 14 Sonoma?

Maybe… Version 8.9.3 is not developed any more, to the best of my knowledge. On the other hand, Sonoma is expected to bring no functional changes, just improvements. So, let’s keep our fingers crossed. 🤤

I just booted RWC and got a notification that v9.2.1 is available with full support for Sonama.

Well, I just had a realization one step worse - my 2017 iMac won’t be able to run Sonoma - man this is not good, I usually can get 8-9 yrs out of a mac, apple is really putting the squeeze on.

Bill

Yes, I’ve been using my old MacPro for over 9 years. The last compatible OS was Mojave. But it was sooooo slow and crashy (with RW 8.9.3) that I decided to buy a new M2 Mac and I am glad I did.

1 Like

Also got a Mac Mini M2 16/512. Very happy 😊

1 Like

We will soon know - in a few hours. However, this comment from the Discord chat makes me hopeful:

1 Like

A quick test with macOS Sonoma and RW 8.9.4 / 9.1.1 was successful.

6 Likes

I even experienced RapidWeaver became faster or appearing faster

Still running good with Sonoma, and I also have found RW 8.9.3 to be faster.

I am loving this upgrade.

Now some breathing room for Stacks Pro.

1 Like

If anyone is considering a new Mac… I initially bought an M2/16GB and noticed that RapidWeaver took around 30 seconds for a page preview (lots of TMCS fields). I decided to upgrade to an M2/32GB, expecting improved performance. However, I didn’t see a noticeable difference. In retrospect, the 16GB was sufficient for running Rw, Word, Photoshop, Affinity Publisher, Safari, and Messages without any issues. I could have saved some money sticking with the original model.

1 Like

In iStats Pro (and I guess also in other tools) you have a view on SSD memory swap, when macOS has to swap from RAM to SSD. It’s a pretty good indicator if you have enough RAM or not.

Of course you can never have enough RAM 😅

No, seriously, on my 16GB M2, I don’t have much of them.

According to the Activity Monitor, I was able to run the following on my 16GB machine without swapping. But, the machine ‘cached 5.15 GB’ whatever that indicates. (Memory used: 11.53 GB)

• Photoshop 2024
  • Publisher 2
  • Designer 2
  • SnapNDrag Pro (a hog @ 216 MB)
  • Airmail
  • Word
  • Safari
  • RapidWeaver

No issues so far…
Works ok on M1 MacBookPro 16B Ram, RW 8.9.4 on MacOS 14.0 using a rather large RW Project file (865MB).