Source Plus.....Poster 2 project

Hi all -

Have been putting together another ‘Source Plus’ project. It is a nice and clean blog using Poster 2 from @Jannis. You can preview it here. What sets it apart is a couple of tricks that take things up a notch…

Firstly the blog post page is very clean - using a split header and a narrow text column with some wider images that punctuate the text. As so:

Next there is a little code snippet that generates the text for the Next and Previous buttons to pull in the titles of the adjacent blog posts. This is a self-contained snippet that can be easily dropped into any existing Poster blog.

I have even resurrected the Source blog with a post that has a bit more detail about this project. You can read that here.

Thanks for reading!
Stuart

11 Likes

great … I love it
Thank you

1 Like

I really like the result, I have
made a mix between this CLEAN project and my old poster2 blog, thanks again Stuart. You are great.

3 Likes

That’s an understatement.

The Next Previous feature is something never seen before in a Stacks project and elevates Source Poster2 blogs to the highest level.

I have lost track of how many blog and product Source Poster2 layouts I have built, but I always felt that the Next / Prev needed something more that just a button/link that said Next /Prev. Compared to what could be done with the rest of the blog with Source, the Next / Prev seemed a bit clunky. Well not anymore.

Get this crazy low price project now.

4 Likes

Stuart @habitualshaker, grabbed this via contribution today. Beautiful work.

Question.

How can I set this up to make clean blog posts without first opening RapidWeaver?

How would I incorporate the offline techniques @Jannis describes here:

Hi @davidfreels - thanks for your comments!

There is nothing special about this project in that regard. Just add the Markdown folder option in Poster stack and point it to wherever you are going to hold the markdown files on your server.

Hope that helps!?

2 Likes

Nice, Stuart!

3 Likes

Alloy has this type of next/prev setup as standard. It actually goes further, pulling in header images and a lot of styling options. So I dunno what’s left after you reach the highest level, but it goes there!

And this is in no way an attempt to detract from Source and Poster. Just pointing out inaccuracies in the post.

1 Like

In that case, regarding the next previous function, I stand corrected.

Regarding Stuarts template, it is highly customisable and the whole Source Poster2 solution is highly customisable and unlimited in what you can create.

Already thought of offering the title of prev/next post also 😅
I’ll check what I can do regarding images and description. Good idea actually 👍

5 Likes

My comment now is off topic:
hope Jannis doesn’t leave Poster behind and keep updating it to 3 and on and on…
many of us use posters and (at least for me) it has become a need not a means.
A need for new features, a need for more than markdown to post without RW.
My fear is that Volt CMS will overshadow the beautiful, simple, functional stack that is Poster and leave it in Limbo.
I have about ten websites with Poster, that have switched from version 1 to 2, now they are looking forward to that magic of working online without RW more professionally, markdown is too limited.
Only you can do this magic @Jannis .
Poster is ripe to make a quantum leap.
I think VoltCMS (I saw on the site how it works in Blocs), is still immature.
Sorry for the off topic.

1 Like

Thanks @Lukh for your comments.

No need to worry. Maybe it just gets a new name 😛

Exactly this will be possible, without the need of a migration like it was between Poster 1 and 2 👍

The version you’ve seen there is not the version which will be available for Stacks Pro.
It will be the successor Volt CMS ² 😉

Ok, enough speculations for now, maybe you can read between the lines 🤓

5 Likes

Thank you

Love all you are doing; that’s @habitualshaker and @Jannis - I have long thought that you two are the dream team. Virtually everything on my sites is created by the two of you. I have long struggled with fine tuning my blogs. Not too bad, but I could do better: News and Writing from WildPhotographer Nick Wilcox-Brown

Oh, and I have just noticed that my ‘Next’ ‘Previous’ links have disappeared 🥹 For a photographer in 21st C, I’m spending far too much time on taking pictures and making films 🤔

OK, I need the add on Stuart!

PS I am regularly asked for sites where customers can edit content, sorry Joe, but I don’t like your CMS and there is no Source book. Guys, please could you put your heads together…?

😁

1 Like

One small question Stuart - does this unify the appearance of posts created with Poster 2 and the Markdown created versions? I use both, but never quite got the appearance synchronised to perfection.

Hi @Nick - i’ve never noticed any issues like that. Regardless of whether the content comes from stacks or a markdown file it is injected into the Poster template - which is the bit that largely controls the styling.

Perfect. I created a custom template for Markdown, attempting to match the default.
From memory the default was not originally available with Markdown? Long ago, water under the bridge. It all works beautifully.

1 Like

@habitualshaker I was under the impression that if I bought the Source+ Project pack it would give access to all Source projects. I’m a bit disappointed to find out it doesn’t and you still have to pay for projects such as Clean Blog.

It would help if this was made clearer on your website.

hi @svsmailus - I think it is fairly clear that there are 2 categories of Source projects but will look to see if i can make some improvements in that regard. Happy to send you on Clean Blog. Will DM you with a link when i get back to my machine 👍

1 Like

Hi Mr. Habit.

I’ve lost track of the Source projects etc. So what was included in the lifetime project deal offered a few years back? I call it lifetime, although I can’t recall if it was lifetime, or a year or whatever. I ask as I don’t recall getting anything for a while now. So not sure if the newer stuff isn’t included, or I’ve dropped off the list somehow.