UserAccess Stack - create simple membership sites

Yes, this is also on my todo list 👍

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hej Jannis

I updated it in RW Classic, but after restart it still says version 1.2 and I cannot find it in my folder. The version in the stacks folder are still 1.2.0 and the date created is 12 march 2022

Please try again with version 1.3.1, just available now. Please restart RW afterwards.

Tested on my side, works fine.

1 Like

Yes I got the update 1.3.1 thank you Jannis, have a nice day :-)

1 Like

Hi @jannis,

A quick question about UserAccess.

For the past year or so, I’ve been looking at a good way to authenticate different users and allow them to view data specific to them. UserAccess and Sitelok are on my short list. To be honest: there’s not much else out there that I could add to my list, but still! ;)

One of my use cases is that a logged in user should have access to downloads that are specific to him/her. Users should NOT have access to each others files. The idea is that users can always go back to my site, log in and:

• view their invoices and contracts
  • re-download the (ZIP) files they’ve purchased from me.

Since each file is tailor made for that specific user, and invoices are of course customer specific, I can’t simply provide a one-download-link-for-all.

I understand the current way to do things is to either:

• build different download pages for each user, using UserAccess or Sitelok to make sure only the rightful user can access the download page in question;
  • build one big download page that has download links to all files for all users, protect each link with UserAccess’ Stack Protect stack to hide them from users that are not the rightful owner of the content.

My question for you: If you have any tips on how this can be done more elegantly (read: with much less work for me :), I’m all ears! I couldn’t find a quicker way in the documentation.

It would be awesome if there was some sort of file access restriction stack in UserAccess’ bundle in a future version. Sitelok doesn’t offer this and I think it’s a feature that would set UserAccess apart.

Cheers,
Erwin

H Erwin,

I think the integration with Repository Stack 2 (see the documentation) might be helpful here.

As soon as a UserAccess user logs in, he will be able to list only his files in Repository Stack.He won’t be able to list other user files.

Note: The link to the files themselves aren’t protected. If you’re able to guess other users login name and file names, you might be able to spoof link to files. Therefore, giving your files a unique id most probably is sufficient to restrict the access. I think the same will be true for SiteLock.

Cheers
Jannis

2 Likes

Hi @Jannis
Thanks so much! i will have a look into Repository.

Cheers,
Erwin

1 Like