Good Menu options for Source

Any recommendations for excellent menus that work with Source? I love the default and I have customised it, but still struggling. Client feedback is not great on the sub-Menus where my workshops are located:

Nick

I use a customised Overlay menu on my site at https://csmltd.com/ that works great on both mobile and above within my Source framework.

Thanks Paul, this looks good. What is the Stack? I see 1LD has something like it

Nick - it is indeed the 1LD Overlay menu stack duly modified for my use case.

1 Like

@tav makes a lovely little toggle menu called PopDrop Menu, part of the PopDrop stacks. There is Also Limelight, with which you can make a brilliant overlay menu or sidebar menu.

Get them on bigwhiteduck.com

Yes, Popdrop and Limelight are very powerful menu tools and are prefect to trigger from stuff in the CTA areas of the Source Navbar.

Thanks Everyone! This has opened my eyes.

I’m always afraid of Tav’s stuff, brilliant as it is; some of it is slightly too complex for me, apart from Scribe which I adore. I’ve had limelight for years, never dared launch it and it looks as though it is the same with Popdrop - I’ll give Popdrop a try or fallback to 1Ld Overlay Menu

Ironically, Tav did the Source Menu. However, I’m looking forward to a Source Menu Plus stack, hey @tav and @habitualshaker :)

3 Likes

Yes, I have been waiting for the long rumoured new Source Menu too, but I can’t wait and need a more customer friendly option now. Watching heatmaps, my current source menu is as problem. Possibly an issue with my original structures, but I can’t change that overnight as too many sites refer to specific pages.

If you explain the issue in detail, maybe we can find a solution.

I’ll put some sreen grabs together Gary - all fine on mobile, but desktop is a mess. I have tamed it as far as I can, but probably I need a full screen solution - about to try 1ld’s option or perhaps you mega menu?

On desktop the sub-menus (only 1 level!) jump around badly and I have had negative comments. Link at top of thread.

Why not change it to a regular desktop navbar instead of the mobile burger when on desktop? Otherwise those submenus need to not open on hover, but on click. Someone would have some code for that.

I posted this before, but this is the format I’ve developed for my own use — inspired by Weavium, built in Source, using PopDrop (with a nod to 1LD’s ‘Overlay Menu’ stack in mobile sizes). I‘d be happy to share the file if you’d like it — just DM me.

https://shakennotstirred.net/menu/

James - url seems not to work?!

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and offers.

@Custard-Apple it makes a great deal of sense, but I stepped back from the desktop version a while back for the clean lines of the ‘burger’ and I could never quite achieve what I wanted.

@jamessouttar I like this

@TemplateRepo Tinkering with and struggling with PopDrop

@paul.rowe for your thought on 1ld’s menu

@Webdeersign Gary for your kind offer

I have the whole family home this weekend, but I’m playing a little (why can I never get Grid Plus Pro to work properly for me in menus!) and will also try and give some detached thought to what I am trying to achieve.

PS is anyone else’s copy of RW 8.9.4 crashing constantly? It has only started (again) in the last few days. Instant crash on start, followed by three or four, until it ‘settles’ after an hour or so of use. Roll on Stacks Plus!!

@Nick That was my thought exactly. Full page menus like your’s just don’t work well. They can be appropriate for a small number of main pages but as you drill down, they can get difficult to deal with. The standard Source menu would be perfect IMHO.

1 Like

Are you using the PopDrop menu stack?

RW 8.9.4 doesn’t crash but freezes up after 2nd or third upload, then I have to force close and reopen. I upload another 2 or 3 and it freezes again… waiting impatiently for StacksPro to hit the scene.

3 Likes

No, probably not devoting enough attention to it. So much going on, but need to fix menus

Haha, no, it does work — when the page loads it‘s just a hamburger in the top right. You might well think the page is empty. Then click it.